"The place frightens me"

Source

September 29, 2005

COMMENTARY: Nebraska of old vs. Nebraska

Brent Blum is a junior in journalism and mass communication from Urbandale.

I have never been to Lincoln, Neb. Not once. The place frightens me. Whenever I think of Lincoln, I get the shakes. I'm not sure what post-traumatic stress disorder feels like, but I'm guessing I've got some of the symptoms.

I've been told that at night I scream the names of Tommie Frazier, Lawrence Phillips and Eric Crouch in terror. Whenever I see Tom Osborne, I break into a cold sweat and lose my appetite. But the worst part is the flashbacks.

My mind often drifts and I'm back on my family-room couch, watching Ahman Green rip apart the poor excuse for an ISU defense. The Husker fans erupt and sing their awful fight song for the umpteenth time of the day. Make it stop. Please, make it stop - but they continue.

Grant Wistrom destroys a Cyclone offensive tackle forcing another Todd Bandhauer interception. Lil' Red, the Nebraska mascot, bounces up and down with glee. Scott Frost options left, right, up, down, over, under and between, and scores at will, the only real option being what celebration he wants to use. And all this is before halftime (in 1997, Iowa State was behind 63-7 at half).

Iowa State has not won in Lincoln since 1977. But that is only the tip of the painful statistical iceberg. If at any time you become nauseous while reading these, close your eyes and think about Nebraska basketball.

Iowa State is 1-19 in the land of the Huskers in the last 20 games. In those games, Nebraska has won by a combined score of 856-179, or an average beatdown of 43-8.

Feeling queasy? Iowa State has scored more than 17 points only once, and they have been shut out on six occasions. Tell me when to stop. The Huskers have outgained the Cyclones by an average of 290 yards per game in those contests. They have gained more than 500 yards 10 times, 600 yards three times and 700 yards twice. Meanwhile, Iowa State has been held under 100 yards five times and has never reached 350 yards. Uh-oh, here come the shakes again.

I know what you're thinking. This is a different Nebraska team, with an anemic quarterback and a West Crap offense. I've told myself the same thing, but tradition, history and atmosphere are a powerful thing (see: Hilton Coliseum). Nebraska, regardless of its offense, is 3-0.

The "black-shirt" defense has recovered from last year and has given up an average of five points per game, the best in the nation. Husker running back Cory Ross is as talented a back as Iowa State will face this year, and the Cyclones have allowed two straight 100-yard rushers.

The Cyclones must get out of the gates cleanly. In McCarney's five games at Memorial Stadium, they have trailed by an average margin of 38 points at the half.

It won't be easy, but all this jabbering and numbers will only make the victory taste sweeter Saturday night.

After all, the Cyclones have won two of the last three over the Cornhuskers, and they are the one's who are ranked. In fact, the Cyclones are ranked and Nebraska, Michigan and Oklahoma aren't - a feat that has never happened.

History is made to be rewritten and this season is the perfect time to do it.

I'm going to face my Lincolnphobia and make the trek 220 miles west to watch the events unfold. I will either return in a schizophrenic rage or as happy as Mr. Rogers on Prozac.

- Brent Blum is a junior in journalism and mass communication from Urbandale.

I have never been to Lincoln, Neb. Not once. The place frightens me. Whenever I think of Lincoln, I get the shakes. I'm not sure what post-traumatic stress disorder feels like, but I'm guessing I've got some of the symptoms.

Let me get this straight...he's never been to Lincoln, but he thinks he's displaying signs of post-traumatic stress disorder when he thinks of it??? Post, as in "after having been there"?

What passes for education in Iowa, anyway?

"...a West Crap offense."

:rollin:rollin

I dont care what you say or who you root for, that is a damn funny line. :lol:

No, Former....I'm pretty p*ssed off...what the he11 are you thinking??? This offense per game racks up 55...no...23...no...16...no...9...no...7!!! 7 points... :woo

:dis

:woo

never mind.

:P

No, Former....I'm pretty p*ssed off...what the he11 are you thinking??? This offense per game racks up 55...no...23...no...16...no...9...no...7!!! 7 points... :woo

never mind.

Okay, okay, let me clarify...the offense is performing poorly, and it is sad and disheartening to see. :wtf

The phrase "West Crap offense" hit me in a humorous manner, cool :thumbs

never mind.

Okay, okay, let me clarify...the offense is performing poorly, and it is sad and disheartening to see. :wtf

The phrase "West Crap offense" hit me in a humorous manner, cool :thumbs

I hope it hits everyone humorous tomorrow...or embarrasses me. I'd prefer Callahan shock the poopy out of me, to be quite honest. :thumbs

GBR!!!

I know what you're thinking. This is a different Nebraska team, with an anemic quarterback and a West Crap offense. I've told myself the same thing, but tradition, history and atmosphere are a powerful thing (see: Hilton Coliseum). Nebraska, regardless of its offense, is 3-0.

Now, if we are 3-1 instead of 4-0 tomorow...... BC will hear all about this.

But if we have a good offensive day........

Regardless, I think this fan has a right to be a little nervous. But I hope he stays that way.

I'm sure Mr. Rodgers would slap him upside his head if he ever referenced him like that again, though...

Not sure why people are ripping on this guy. He gave the Huskers more then enough credit then any other Cyclone i have ever seen give Nebraska publicly. Also, that reference rawhide made towards post tramutic, i don't know if you were being serious or not, but he said he didn't know what it was but that he thinks he may have it. I don't see what is wrong in that reference?

Source

September 29, 2005

COMMENTARY: Nebraska of old vs. Nebraska

Brent Blum is a junior in journalism and mass communication from Urbandale.

I've been told that at night I scream the names of Tommie Frazier, Lawrence Phillips and Eric Crouch in terror. Whenever I see Tom Osborne, I break into a cold sweat and lose my appetite. But the worst part is the flashbacks.

My mind often drifts and I'm back on my family-room couch, watching Ahman Green rip apart the poor excuse for an ISU defense. The Husker fans erupt and sing their awful fight song for the umpteenth time of the day. Make it stop. Please, make it stop - but they continue.

Grant Wistrom destroys a Cyclone offensive tackle forcing another Todd Bandhauer interception. Lil' Red, the Nebraska mascot, bounces up and down with glee. Scott Frost options left, right, up, down, over, under and between, and scores at will, the only real option being what celebration he wants to use. And all this is before halftime (in 1997, Iowa State was behind 63-7 at half).

Iowa State has not won in Lincoln since 1977. But that is only the tip of the painful statistical iceberg. If at any time you become nauseous while reading these, close your eyes and think about Nebraska basketball.

Iowa State is 1-19 in the land of the Huskers in the last 20 games. In those games, Nebraska has won by a combined score of 856-179, or an average beatdown of 43-8.

Feeling queasy? Iowa State has scored more than 17 points only once, and they have been shut out on six occasions. Tell me when to stop. The Huskers have outgained the Cyclones by an average of 290 yards per game in those contests. They have gained more than 500 yards 10 times, 600 yards three times and 700 yards twice. Meanwhile, Iowa State has been held under 100 yards five times and has never reached 350 yards. Uh-oh, here come the shakes again.

The "black-shirt" defense has recovered from last year and has given up an average of five points per game, the best in the nation. Husker running back Cory Ross is as talented a back as Iowa State will face this year, and the Cyclones have allowed two straight 100-yard rushers.

The Cyclones must get out of the gates cleanly. In McCarney's five games at Memorial Stadium, they have trailed by an average margin of 38 points at the half.

It won't be easy, but all this jabbering and numbers will only make the victory taste sweeter Saturday night.

After all, the Cyclones have won two of the last three over the Cornhuskers, and they are the one's who are ranked. In fact, the Cyclones are ranked and Nebraska, Michigan and Oklahoma aren't - a feat that has never happened.

History is made to be rewritten and this season is the perfect time to do it.

I'm going to face my Lincolnphobia and make the trek 220 miles west to watch the events unfold. I will either return in a schizophrenic rage or as happy as Mr. Rogers on Prozac.

- Brent Blum is a junior in journalism and mass communication from Urbandale.

I know this is sort of a cool article, but If I was this guys friend, I'd punch him. What a dork. But as I said if some dude wants to give the Huskers love, that's cool