Looking to buy a new mountain bike

Enhance

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a new mountain bike. I haven't had one since I was 13 or 14 years old, and my father tossed it out when I was around 17 because it was too small.

I'm not necessarily looking for a specific bike, although any serious suggestions will be considered.

More or less, I'm looking for a good place to shop in the Omaha/Lincoln area. I want a place that has a pretty good selection. I've been to places like Dick's Sporting Goods and many of their bikes are either too expensive or not what I'm really looking for (they don't have the best selection).

So, if you've bought a bike recently or have seen a place that has a wide selection, what's the name and where is it located? Also, I'm only looking to spend around $200 for one.

Edit - Also, I'm not planning on doing a lot of actual mountain biking. My plan is to do some of it, but the main focus is just another mode of transportation that can get me around and save some gas cash aka I don't need a place that has a lot of full suspension bikes.

Mountain bike? Good choice. People don't realize the number of trails there area around the Omaha/Lincoln area. Also, the Taco Ride on Thursday nights is a must...

I live by this bike shop and they take real good care of me: The Bike Way 15115 Industrial Road, Omaha, NE (402) 392-2390. The Specialty shops are the best place to go if you're looking for info or trying to compare prices. The only issue with the specialty shop is that it will end up costing you an outrageous amount of money. I try to keep a good finger on the pulse of craigslist because hey always have good deals. There's no reason to pay $1500 for a new bike when you can find a used one with the same components for $750 or less. Not sure how you feel about Pawn Shops, but that's another good place to look because you can barter some with them. I bought a Trek Alpha bike a couple years back and couldn't be happier. As parts have worn out, I simply replace them with parts that are better suited for my liking. Finding a good frame, (new or used) that fits your body size is the key. As an example, my buddy had a super-light, top-of-the-line frame on his $2000 Trek. I rode that bike off a jump and broke the welds on the frame. I'm 6'1" 210, so the smaller frame was too weak for me. I upgraded to a moderately heavier, Alpha frame and haven't had a problem in three years. From there, I think it's best to customize it with all the bells and whistles that you prefer (or can afford). Lastly, front suspension is key. Your specialty shop will sell you hard on fully-custom supsension that has a rear shock in addition to the front shock. While the rear shock is nice, it really doesn't make that much difference unless you're up in the mountains of CO or No Cal. The front shock, though, is imperative (unless you want to break your wrists).

The mountain bike I bought three years ago was one of the best investments I've made. It's made for great weekend treks and countless enjoyable adventures. Platte River State Park has the best set of mountain bike trails around. They're pretty intense and you have to know what you're doing, but wear a helmet, bring a partner and you should be fine.

So, in closing--don't buy new, find a frame that fits your body well, find a frame that has front suspension and learn how to fix the bike yourself. Let me know if you have any other questions.

No prob. It looks like you're trying to keep it cheap, (as we all are) so don't be scared to check out a pawn shop or two. Real Estate is value for them and they're always looking to move product. Downtown Omaha has an old parts/bike place. I can't remember then name or exact location, but I do recall finding some sick, cheap parts there. This is the right time of year to start looking because everyone is moving out old product in anticipation of the new models. I'm sure you won't have a prob finding something you like...

Good seeing ya around, Enhance, and good luck to ya!

• 2 weeks later...

If you're still in the market Enhance, CycleWorks/Moose's Tooth on the corner of 27th and Vine will take good care of you. I have a friend who does part time mechanic work for them . . . mostly just to get the employee discount I think.

I'm surprised I never thought of that/never let it register in my mind. I work part time at the Walgreens across the street while I'm in school so I drive by that area all the time. Thanks for the tip.

• 2 months later...

just picked up a mountain bike yesterday. I got a Diamondback. I've only had a chance to ride it around the parking lot for a bit, but hoping to get out tonight when the weather cools off a bit. Like you, I haven't ridden in like 10-15 years. I used to ride a lot with the family in Colorado and absolutely loved it. I'll probably be confined to the paved trails around Kansas City, but hoping to take it out to do some actual trails.

Good luck with your purchase.