NCAA classifies Rivals as a recruiting service

If a recruiting or scouting service, such as Rivals.com, provides nonscholastic video that is not available for free to the general public, then an institution may not subscribe to the service per Bylaw 13.14.3. All recruiting/scouting services are held to the same legislated standard and we consider Rivals.com to be a recruiting/scouting service. The staff has issued a staff interpretation (4/29/09) and two educational columns (3/10/2009 and 5/4/2010) that discuss this issue generally that I have included below.

The league coaches were instructed to immediately cancel any subscriptions to Rivals.com and to report a secondary recruiting violation if they were or ever have been subscribed (paid or complimentary). LINK

This is pretty huge for Rivals. And not in a good way.

If a recruiting or scouting service, such as Rivals.com, provides nonscholastic video that is not available for free to the general public, then an institution may not subscribe to the service per Bylaw 13.14.3. All recruiting/scouting services are held to the same legislated standard and we consider Rivals.com to be a recruiting/scouting service. The staff has issued a staff interpretation (4/29/09) and two educational columns (3/10/2009 and 5/4/2010) that discuss this issue generally that I have included below.

The league coaches were instructed to immediately cancel any subscriptions to Rivals.com and to report a secondary recruiting violation if they were or ever have been subscribed (paid or complimentary). LINK

This is pretty huge for Rivals. And not in a good way.

That is ridiculous that a school would have to report it as a secondary recruiting violation for a new rule that was just instituted. Are the coaches supposed to read the NCAA's mind or what? The NCAA is so screwed up in my opinion, it seems like everyday a school is getting slapped with sanctions. College sports are becoming tainted.

Seems like BS that you would apply this retroactively. "This is henceforth illegal, so please report yourself if you've EVER done it."

For a moment I thought this would help force Rivals, etc, into compliance and give us free videos. Then I thought...probably not.

This does hit these websites hard though. They gotta find a way to make money.