FBI Seizure of Online Gambling Sites

Carlfense, since you seem (at least to me) to know anything and everything in the law, I would like to hear yours and others opinion on how this case is going to play out. It sounds kind of serious.

The end of online gambling

Especially disconcerting considering the recent push towards legalizing online gambling.

Haha. I know nothing about gambling law. I'll read the article tomorrow.

Edit: Also, I think you must have me confused with AR. He's the expert.

I know all the major poker sites are it including Pokerstars, Full Tilt, Absolute Poker and Ultimate Bet. I know Pokerstars is NOT allowing anying US players right now. It sounds pretty serious and I am pretty unhappy about it since I love plaiyng poker online.

Yeah, me too. I love the PSO School Skill League. And am pretty irked that this has happened. However I think something similar to this happened to a online site (BoDog, I think) and nothing came of it in the end. *Fingers crossed*

AR can also give his expert opinion in as well

Ed Brayton's take:

The owners of the three largest online poker sites still doing business with American customers -- Poker Stars, Full Tilt Poker and Absolute Poker -- were all indicted by the DOJ this week for fraud, money laundering and other crimes. They've even seized the domains of all three, so it looks like American players have been shut out completely.

This doesn't affect me much. I've got a small amount of money on deposit at Full Tilt Poker, not enough to be concerned about. But it likely means that billions of dollars in players' money on deposit with those sites is frozen and can't be paid out. But this will be a very, very interesting case to watch.

As I've explained before, online poker is not actually illegal in the United States (except in the state of Washington and perhaps one or two other places), but the DOJ has long claimed that it is, under both Bush and Obama. Because of that, banks have generally tried to comply with the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act by blocking payments to and from online poker sites.

That's why they may actually be able to make those charges stick. I don't know this for certain, but I am guessing that the sites all created a ton of dummy and shell corporations and set up accounts all over the country in order to make payouts to American players. If they misrepresented what those companies were actually doing, that could mean they are guilty of fraud and possibly even money laundering.

But the entire situation is a very sad one. Online poker should be explicitly legalized and regulated in the United States. Consenting adults have every legitimate right to play games against one another for their own money and there is no serious justification for violating that right. And on the contrived premise that they are "protecting" Americans from the scourge of gambling, they are now likely to cost hundreds of thousands of Americans billions of dollars. Dispatches

Feds are getting hard up for money, everyones broke while feeding off greed and taking advantage of it another get screwed and pay me attitude. You see it everywhere now days, fines have more then tripled for anything and you got big brother watching everything for any mistake. People just accept it now days, it's a shut up and no back talk society. Where is the freedom.