New Husker Offense Really is Taylor-Made for T-Magic's Skill Sets

Nexus

To get inside what makes Taylor Martinez tick, forget about all the awards he won as a redshirt freshman last season and wind the clock back to 2008 when he led Corona's Centennial High School to a California state championship, a 15-0 season and the final No. 2 national prep ranking in USA Today.

Martinez won five California MVP awards, including the big one - the Glen Davis Player-of-the-Year from the Los Angeles Times.

Continue Reading

Meanwhile, I have added up some staggering numbers that T-Magic produced in three consecutive road games last season, all on national television, against Washington, Kansas State and Oklahoma State - 465 yards rushing, 601 yards passing, 7 rushing touchdowns and 7 touchdown passes. He averaged 355 yards of total offense per game, five touchdowns per game and was at the controls of a team that averaged nearly 52 points in those same three games.

The thing is, we looked awesome against weak defenses. And fell apart when we faced a stout defense. It wasn't Martinez' fault. The timing didn't work against quicker guys and more disciplined defenses. You go back and look at those early games where T-Mart was peeling off 50 yd runs and he's just beyond the grasp of LBs and DBs to make those runs. But the better B12 defenses had guys with the athletic ability to get off their blocks, and the footspeed to close on Martinez for the tackle.

We need an offense that scales nicely against great defenses. Let's hope the Beck era gives us that.

• Fire 1
Meanwhile, I have added up some staggering numbers that T-Magic produced in three consecutive road games last season, all on national television, against Washington, Kansas State and Oklahoma State - 465 yards rushing, 601 yards passing, 7 rushing touchdowns and 7 touchdown passes. He averaged 355 yards of total offense per game, five touchdowns per game and was at the controls of a team that averaged nearly 52 points in those same three games.

The thing is, we looked awesome against weak defenses. And fell apart when we faced a stout defense. It wasn't Martinez' fault. The timing didn't work against quicker guys and more disciplined defenses. You go back and look at those early games where T-Mart was peeling off 50 yd runs and he's just beyond the grasp of LBs and DBs to make those runs. But the better B12 defenses had guys with the athletic ability to get off their blocks, and the footspeed to close on Martinez for the tackle.

We need an offense that scales nicely against great defenses. Let's hope the Beck era gives us that.

Yep, pretty much the samething Ive been saying since last year and this spring. But I get blasted for it, label as a hater.

I said after the first Washington game last year, that disciplined/athletic defenses are going to stop this offense. That passing the ball effectively was gonna be key to our success, everybody thought I was high.

everybody thought I was high.

You still are, stop smoking dammit. :corndance

Hope all this talk actually means something. Seeing a ton of articles basically saying the same thing. Also hope they don't get to confident when smashing the first 3 games then going to the matches that actually mean something and not taking it as serious as they should be.