Jan 23 Visits / Commits

From Murtha himself: “Actually right now I’m leaning toward Nebraska." He gave the visit this week a 91/2 and his Minnesota visit a 7. He is feeling some pressure from people at home to stay in Minn, but seems like a strong kid he'll do what's best for him.

The way he spoke. Kind of sounded like a little school girl who just went on a date with the boy she's been eyeing up for months. He went on and on. Cally told him to take his time and he didn't care if he heard from him tomorrow or next week.

Murtha expressed possible a little immaturity when he committed to Minn in the middle of his junior year, especially without taking an official visit. He also said he was the one who contacted NU. He will room with his teammate Swift.

Boys I think this one's in the bag......Nebraska 2 Minnesota 0

redout

You bet baby! Love to hear it. Also heard that he was very pleased with everything about Lincoln. Really liked the city and "how campus blended with the city". Feels the MN campus is a bit too big. And gives a lot of respect to the fact that weve sold out so many consec games, and that football is so paramount to the state. He said "you feel more like a football player down there."

Should have his decision by Tue.

Come on home to Lincoln Big Murtha. I think you'll like it here.

Great point Hack. This guy sounds great (thanks coach Blake). I heard he had some accademic issues, so I hope he gets that in line. I also hope he's a quality person. Have you all read about this Franklin kid? His HS coach also coached Marshall Faulk and says Franklin is every bit as good as Faulk...hmmmm, very interesting. All I can say is c'mon down Grix and Murth. That would round out this recruiting class nicely. I think Call get's an "A" so far. Let's finish strong and get ready for some football baby.

I like Brandon Jackson very much. Here is a good article about him from a local paper in Mississippi:

Horn Lake tailback heading to Nebraska

By Jason Smith

Contact

January 27, 2004

Recently hired Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan and assistant coach John Blake already have their first disagreement.

It's over Horn Lake running back Brandon Jackson, who committed to Nebraska over Memphis and Mississippi State during an official visit to Lincoln last weekend.

Advertisement

"Coach Blake was saying that I run like Emmitt Smith and that my takeoff was like LaDainian Tomlinson," Jackson said Monday. "But Coach Callahan was saying that I reminded him of Clinton Portis."

Either way, the Huskers apparently have their man.

Grixby press conference video

"He's the complete package. That's the best way to describe him," Horn Lake football coach Larry Gann said.

"He can go inside, and he's got the speed (4.43 in the 40-yard dash) to go outside. He's got good hands, and with everybody doing this situational-package personnel stuff now, you wouldn't have to take him out if you needed to throw the ball."

Jackson (6-0, 200 pounds), rated the No. 17 running back prospect in the nation by Rivals.com, rushed for 1,200 yards and 10 touchdowns for Horn Lake last season on his way to being named first-team all-state and Co-Most Valuable Offensive Player of the Year by MHSAA Region 1-5A coaches.

He has yet to qualify academically, though Gann said he expects him to do so. If he does, Jackson could challenge for playing time immediately.

"Coach Callahan was telling me that I could play or start my freshman year," Jackson said.

Jackson, who was being recruited heavily by Blake at Mississippi State before Blake left for Nebraska earlier this month, said he almost made up his mind on the plane's descent into Lincoln.

"When I was on the plane, we were flying over the stadium and it was huge. And when we got off the plane, that's all you could see was the stadium with that big 'N'. Aw man, it was beautiful.

"It feels great to be with one of the top teams in the nation."

* Dixon decides: Germantown standout running back/defensive back Carlos Dixon has committed to Middle Tennessee State.

The 6-0, 195-pound Dixon was the key offensive ingredient in Germantown's run to the Class 5A state title last season, rushing for 1,344 yards and 22 touchdowns.

"I plan on majoring in mechanical engineering in college and they've got a great program," Dixon said. "If professional football or something like that doesn't work out, then I'll have an education I can rely on."

Dixon, a first-team all-state selection at defensive back by the Associated Press, said MTSU recruited him to play either running back or defensive back.

- Jason Smith: 529-5804