Embarrassed to live in Wisc

I don't have it as bad but I live 50 miles from Baton Rouge. Tiger fans have started to convince themselves that not only are the all time greatest football program, but that they invented the game. My standard response is "I neither coached nor played in Saturday's game and therefore I am not responsible" after a brief pause and a deeply look in the eye I proceed with: "It was embarrassing for me to watch, but I also know that karma is a bitch." I have also learned not to run my mouth down here. The Callahan era taught me that.

I feel your pain.

I live in Madison & am a UW-Madison grad. My boss is a die-hard Ohio State Buckeye fan. He proudly flies his Buckeye Flag in the front yard of his Madison home all during football season. We've worked together for 20+ years now. At the time I started working with Skip the Badgers were the worst team in the Big 10. We lost to everyone except Ball State that first year (I think it was 1990 or 1991). Talk about embarassing! However, I think it was 1992 - we lost most of our games but beat Ohio State (that made our season - pretty sad, huh?). Skip said his most vivid memory of that awful day (for him, anyway) was the drunken Badger fans proudly saluting his Buckeye flag while serenading the neighborhood with Wisconsin's "Varsity".

Since then we've had our good times & bad times. Last year had to be the pits for him. Wisconsin beat Ohio State's football team (ranked #1 in the country at the time) on national TV. We went on to beat Ohio State's men's basketball team (ranked #1 in the country at the time), also on national TV. It was a lot of fun ribbing him, but I knew not to push too hard. Good-natured ribbing back & forth is expected. You know if you lose this time you'll likely win next time. As long as both parties keep it civil, rivalries like this make hum drum office life so much more enjoyable. Especially when you also have a co-worker from Iowa (she's not a happy camper these days), several from hapless Minnesota (it must really suck to be a Minnesota sports fan these days - what with the winless Vikings and lousy Gophers. Hee hee.), and even some mis-guided Chicago Bears fans. Since I can so strongly remember the days when my team was the Big-10 doormat, I know not to gloat too much at someone else's misery.

So...just keep things good-natured, suck it up & get back to work. Your co-workers will probably tease you for awhile, but you will earn their respect as you stand tall & take the ribbing. You can do it! Someday the tables will be turned (probably when you least expect it) and then it will be YOUR turn to gloat.

As a side note - my husband & I went to the game & we were both really impressed by how many Nebraska fans came & how passionate they are about their Huskers. The black shirts were really cool too. We're glad you've joined the Big-10!

N/

By golly, you're right!

Am I missing something here? :confucius

If you added a forward slash on the front of that N it would become a W. The color scheme is right.... Does that help?

Or perhaps a forward slash in front of the N

\N

Oops, I was tired.

Isn't that a backslash, though?

Backslash in front, Forward slash after. \N N/

:horns2

If you live in Wisconsin, and even if you don't, you are welcome to jump on the Packers and Brewers bandwagon, if that will help you forget about the Huskers this year. Or you can go to a lake, or find a hill to enjoy. :-) OK, I admit that was uncalled for, just having fun. There is life after college football, at least in Wisconsin anyway. Trust us we know, we've had teams that were bad for entire decades. Nebraska had one bad game, and maybe a nonHusker type year, but Nebraska football has always been one of the nation's elite programs, and will continue to be. Be proud of your team in red, even it has an N instead of a W on the jersey!

Seriously....Go rent a cabin up north ....we don't have anything in Neb. like that.