Herman Cain

Question for you folks. Without looking left or right, one could see Herman Cain as having a great business track record, including turning around Godfather's Pizza. To me, specifically looking at that achievement is neither left or right. Now realizing he is politically to the right and partisans on the left will have nothing to do with him, do you think independents and independently minded center left folks would take serious consideration of him because of his strong business mind? Understanding it is still perhaps a long shot that he could win the GOP race, I'm basing my question on if he did pull it off. I look forward to your replies.

Question for you folks. Without looking left or right, one could see Herman Cain as having a great business track record, including turning around Godfather's Pizza. To me, specifically looking at that achievement is neither left or right. Now realizing he is politically to the right and partisans on the left will have nothing to do with him, do you think independents and independently minded center left folks would take serious consideration of him because of his strong business mind? Understanding it is still perhaps a long shot that he could win the GOP race, I'm basing my question on if he did pull it off. I look forward to your replies.

If all that mattered to Independents was that Herman Cain ran Godfather's well, then sure, they would vote for him. I'm pretty sure they're considered with more than just that, though. ^_^

Cain has ZERO foreign policy experience and ZERO legislative experience. In fact, other than selling pizza (where he was asked to resign by his own board), Cain's only obvious strength is fear mongering about Muslims.

What exactly do you think are his strengths?

Cain has ZERO foreign policy experience and ZERO legislative experience. In fact, other than selling pizza (where he was asked to resign by his own board), Cain's only obvious strength is fear mongering about Muslims.

Compared to the guy in office....He has more than enough experience!

This question is based on the "perception" that more and more people have about his business experience and success ... not to start a debate, Carlfense. You apparently don't like the man. That's fine. That's your right to feel that way. (Why was he asked to resign? Please share. I really like to know.) Yes, it's a known fact he is weak on foreign policy. That's a problem. But regardless what you may think about the man, he's starting to gain more interest with republicans, and the economy is a huge issue. He is respected in more and more circles because of the "perception" of these people that he has more business knowledge than the other candidates.

He still may not win, but if he did, do some of you think he may get votes from independents and center-left people because of this perception of him being a successful business man and since the economy is one of the biggest issues. And since business success really can't be labeled either left or right? I am looking for answers from "objective" minds, not whether you like him or don't like him. And I am not saying that is who I would vote for. So please stay focused on the question and answer it accordingly.

Compared to the guy in office....He has more than enough experience!

Care to elaborate?

This question is based on the "perception" that more and more people have about his business experience and success ... not to start a debate, Carlfense. You apparently don't like the man. That's fine. That's your right to feel that way. (Why was he asked to resign? Please share. I really like to know.) Yes, it's a known fact he is weak on foreign policy. That's a problem. But regardless what you may think about the man, he's starting to gain more interest with republicans, and the economy is a huge issue. He is respected in more and more circles because of the "perception" of these people that he has more business knowledge than the other candidates.

He still may not win, but if he did, do some of you think he may get votes from independents and center-left people because of this perception of him being a successful business man and since the economy is one of the biggest issues. And since business success really can't be labeled either left or right? I am looking for answers from "objective" minds, not whether you like him or don't like him. And I am not saying that is who I would vote for. So please stay focused on the question and answer it accordingly.

Perhaps I should have been more direct. I honestly doubt that Cain will appeal to moderates in ANY numbers. He is a far right candidate with no real appeal outside of right wing circles. There are probably only two potential GOP candidates who could capture independent votes and Cain is most definitely not one of the two.

This is slightly off-topic (okay, way off topic), but I've always been amazed at the idea that private business acumen translate to governance. It doesn't. Completely different worlds and completely different rules. Most highly sucessful businessmen get that way by the very opposite trait necessary to govern - they crush consensus and impose their rules. In governance, nothing is achieved that way - you have to build coalitions.

Another fallacy - one that seems to continually escape the middle class, who are most affected - is the idea that the economy is driven by lessening restrictions on business. It is that attitude that has led to the current economic situation. Beginning with Regan, every attempt at "freeing" business with the idea that it will spur economic growth has fallen flat - a failure of trickle-down economics, which, whether that term is used, is the basis of the Republican platform of less corporate taxes and regulation. When you actuall look at times in which the economy has been spurred by government action, it has been through significant middle-class tax cuts - never to acceding to business. Businesses hire when sales increase or the business anticipates increased sales, period. More sales spur more investment in capital and people (jobs) to meet demand. Demand is driven by consumption. Consumption is driven by disposable income. The rich have disposable income even during economic downturns, and thus don't alter their buying habits through less taxes. Rather, they end up simply banking the money since they don't need it for discretionary spending - not to mention that they make up far less of the purchasing "units" businesses need. Businesses, likewise, don't create jobs during economic downturns due to tax cuts - they hoard the extra fund, waiting until the day that people actually start increasing purchases. Currently, there is over 2 trillion in cash or liquid funds being held by banks and businesses. They've either received more tax cuts or have seen previous tax cuts perserved. Yet they are still not hiring or spending their liquid assets. Why? Because there is no reason to believe that there will be a sudden uptick of purchases.

Coming back to the question - yeah, some folks will go for Cain under the misguided notion that his business acumen will translate to a spurred economy. It won't.

• Fire 3

Cain was also on Aquila's board when the company went under due to risky energy trading, wiping out employees who had been steered heavily into buying company stock while management parachuted out. I believe that is a huge liability if he's nominated, although it's obviously not been an issue for him yet. There's also the John Birch / Ron Paul / paleoconservative wings of the party that will not support Cain because of his involvement with the Federal Reserve.

I think this a legitimate concern and any responsible voter should take note of it. On the other side, if that is a prerequisite, look what it has got us. I read these posts saying we need this or we need that, but I see nothing about 'We need leadership'.

I met Herman Cain in the early 90's and I will admit, I was just a kid. The activities we were involved in, we were around him a handful of times. I will never forget the impression that he left on my father, a tradesmen and small business owner that is impressed by no one. My old man is a tough guy. My dad knew who Herman was and wasn't going to cut the guy any slack. Week after week when other parents wouldn't volunteer, Herman would step in. I saw it over and over again. He was the CEO Goodfather's and he's holding the first down marker because no one either team will volunteer (every week). I will never forget my dad telling me how impressed he was Herman and how intelligent and down to earth he was.

I lived in the south for several years and I started getting Herman on the radio out of Atlanta. I kind of geeked out because I remember my father talking about him years earlier. With the exception of him filling in for Rush (Rush is worthless), I enjoyed listening to him.

I'm going to sound Cliche, but I'll do it anyway. I think Cain represents real change. He would definitely be a break from the mold and if he can make it to the end I will be voting for him.

• Fire 1

I think this a legitimate concern and any responsible voter should take note of it. On the other side, if that is a prerequisite, look what it has got us. I read these posts saying we need this or we need that, but I see nothing about 'We need leadership'.

I met Herman Cain in the early 90's and I will admit, I was just a kid. The activities we were involved in, we were around him a handful of times. I will never forget the impression that he left on my father, a tradesmen and small business owner that is impressed by no one. My old man is a tough guy. My dad knew who Herman was and wasn't going to cut the guy any slack. Week after week when other parents wouldn't volunteer, Herman would step in. I saw it over and over again. He was the CEO Goodfather's and he's holding the first down marker because no one either team will volunteer (every week). I will never forget my dad telling me how impressed he was Herman and how intelligent and down to earth he was.

I lived in the south for several years and I started getting Herman on the radio out of Atlanta. I kind of geeked out because I remember my father talking about him years earlier. With the exception of him filling in for Rush (Rush is worthless), I enjoyed listening to him.

I'm going to sound Cliche, but I'll do it anyway. I think Cain represents real change. He would definitely be a break from the mold and if he can make it to the end I will be voting for him.

Excellent post. Very cool to hear REAL personal stories about candidates.

I do have a couple questions. What exactly do you mean by "real change" and what do you mean by "look what it has got us?"

I do have a couple questions. What exactly do you mean by "real change" and what do you mean by "look what it has got us?"

Good questions.

What I mean by real change is getting away from our politicians being for sale. I'm so tired of the Bush v Obama debates. They were both awful and we are all paying the price. Many prospered under Clinton, but some site sellouts to hedgefunds are really why we are in the mess we are in. The uptick rule and the glass-steagall act were both taken down on his watch. The rules are a large reason why so many hedgefunds have prospered on the the complete meltdown of our economy.

The change that I see in Cain is someone that really doesn't have anything to prove and will do what he thinks is right. Our country is run by lobbyist (money) and I don't see him as being as vulnerable to the influence as we have seen recently. Unfortunately, I have nothing more then 'gut feel' to substantiate my beliefs.

Look what it got us? Our current model is not sustainable.

We're a mess and we continue to be a mess. I don't believe that one man will change that, but we have to stop business as usual.

I'm of the opinion that our foreign policy over the last two presidents has been nothing short of a disaster. One week we support Israel, then next we don't. We overthrow a government in Iraq and Americans protest. We invade Afghanistan and there doesn't appear to be a plan. People protest about the amount of money it costs. We assist in the overthrow of two more governments (dictators) and America Rejoices. There are no questions about Libya and Egypt. We allow the Dictator of Iran to come to our country and speak to college students. 'Free Trade' is for free for every country except America......I'm starting to rant now.

I'm not even going to get into spending, but it has to be reigned in (by both parties).

I'm not blaming all of the current problems on Obama. That is ignorant and wrong. I do however believe that he isn't going to do anything to remedy any of the current issues we are facing.

I agree with a lot of your points but I don't have any reason to believe that Cain would be any different. To raise sufficient money to win he would have to kiss all of the same hands as any other candidate. In my opinion, it's simply not possible to run a successful presidential campaign without being beholden to many.

I also would quibble with a few minor points: Our support for Israel has been unwavering. The overthrow of the government in Iraq was largely pointless and most would now agree that it was a mistake. I would agree that there is (and was) no coherent plan in Afghanistan. I think the people rejoiced about Libya and Egypt because those rebellions cost the US so little compared to Iraq and Afghanistan. Similar or better results at virtually no cost, by comparison.

Why do you have a problem with allowing Iran's dictator speaking at a college? If I recall correctly he didn't fare so well against those students.

Spending does need to be addressed. So does revenue. No branch should be exempt from scrutiny including the military.

I agree with a lot of your points but I don't have any reason to believe that Cain would be any different. To raise sufficient money to win he would have to kiss all of the same hands as any other candidate. In my opinion, it's simply not possible to run a successful presidential campaign without being beholden to many.

I also would quibble with a few minor points: Our support for Israel has been unwavering. The overthrow of the government in Iraq was largely pointless and most would now agree that it was a mistake. I would agree that there is (and was) no coherent plan in Afghanistan. I think the people rejoiced about Libya and Egypt because those rebellions cost the US so little compared to Iraq and Afghanistan. Similar or better results at virtually no cost, by comparison.

Why do you have a problem with allowing Iran's dictator speaking at a college? If I recall correctly he didn't fare so well against those students.

Spending does need to be addressed. So does revenue. No branch should be exempt from scrutiny including the military.

I don't have any reason to believe that Cain would be any different.

I couldn't rationally debate it and I won't even try. I think it is a fair concern and I will leave it at that.

I think the people rejoiced about Libya and Egypt because those rebellions cost the US so little compared to Iraq and Afghanistan.

There is no question that the costs associated with Libya and Egypt are not even comparable to those in Afghanistan or Iraq. Hell, they aren't even on the radar. My concern is that we are now getting involved if in situations we have proven previously are no win for us. By overthrowing these dictators, we have made these countries more vulnerable then they were before. I believe that these countries (Iraq, Libya, Egypt) will eventually fall victim to radical Islam rule. The question then becomes who was the loser? My answer would be Americans and the citizens of that country(Iraq, Libya, Egypt).

Why do you have a problem with allowing Iran's dictator speaking at a college?

Why is he even allowed in our country? Hasn't Iran been a potential candidate for invasion for 10 years now? It is a huge slap in the face as far as I'm concerned. It is like the Mexican president lecturing our congress on Drugs and Immigration a year or two ago.