Cooperation btwn CFB teams?

Excel

So I was just watching Temple play Ohio and the commentators mentioned how Ohio coaches recently traveled down to Troy, AL to learn the finer points of running a hurry up offense while Troy coaches had apparently been traveling to Athens to get pointers on their Defense.

This got me wondering...how often do these kinds of partnerships occur between teams? What are some examples?

I remember some hinting of a partnership between TCU and SMU earlier this season which is weird considering they have a real hatred for one another...

Anyhow it all just seems odd to me with the high level of competition and rivalry between teams lately.

It happens quite often. NFL & NCAA football coaches are like a fraternity. They network, share tips & tricks, etc. Nebraska has been on the giving & receiving end of these types of gatherings.

Chip Kelly, Jim Tressel and numerous other coaches visited Nebraska when Osborne was head coach to pick his brains on offense. Osborne and his defensive coordinator visited Florida State in the early 90s to get tips on defense from Bobby Bowden and his defensive coordinator, Mickey Andrews. Nick Saban got together with Bo Pelini in 2009 after the Nebraska/Texas CCG to discuss how we defended Texas in preparation of the Alabama/Texas national title game. Mark D'Antonio of Michigan State also invited Pelini to discuss defensive tips in 2009.

Those are just a few examples.

• Fire 1

It happens quite often. NFL & NCAA football coaches are like a fraternity. They network, share tips & tricks, etc. Nebraska has been on the giving & receiving end of these types of gatherings.

Chip Kelly, Jim Tressel and numerous other coaches visited Nebraska when Osborne was head coach to pick his brains on offense. Osborne and his defensive coordinator visited Florida State in the early 90s to get tips on defense from Bobby Bowden and his defensive coordinator, Mickey Andrews. Nick Saban got together with Bo Pelini in 2009 after the Nebraska/Texas CCG to discuss how we defended Texas in preparation of the Alabama/Texas national title game. Mark D'Antonio of Michigan State also invited Pelini to discuss defensive tips in 2009.

Those are just a few examples.

Interesting, I bet its an odd dynamic when those teams end up facing each other in bowls and what not...but its great to see this kind of thing in the sport.