The beginning of a beautiful friendship

Skers!

I get what you're saying Hercules. You guys are a good bit different as a fan base. Penn State, at least before the scandal, would've been a perfect match as far as what you're looking for. Up until then it appeared you guys had a lot in common. Classy program based on building character in young men and success in football...we've kind of learned that wasn't true at PSU.

http://my.journalsta..._of_thanks.html

http://www.dailynebr...=1#.TsGUGmBRxl1

This is how rivalries begin and flourish. Not with corporate sponsorship or kitschy names or forced trophies. A great game in extraordinary circumstances, and in the way of Nebraska-Oklahoma, it was full of mutual respect, rather than hatred.

Its debatable. I'd say most of the public, including myself, relish in the violent hatred driven rivalries. Most teams in the conference are your "friendly, respected rivals" except for that one, that when they come to town, its not a game. It's a battle in a never ending war. I don't know that you guys get that as Husker fans because your main rivals were who? OU. You have Kansas in between and even then you guys are in the northern bit of NE so you wouldn't see them much. Ohio State and Michigan hate each other because they compete for the same kids, their fans live and work with each other everyday. Same with WI-MN, MSU-UM, or any of the other really great rivalries in college.

You won't get that with PSU. I think it will come out of Iowa but at any rate it has to come out of history, the best ones are within states or between two bordering state schools. Look at Clemson and Carolina, those schools practically went to war in 1900 or so and the governor had to call in the guard. I love it :cheers

I agree that inventing rivalries is stupid though.

I understand that there are other great rivalries that have a foundation built on hatred. What you don't understand is that kind of rivalry doesn't fit Nebraska football, it just doesn't fit the way the fans approach the program or the game.

I'll admit that we have never really had a border war like Nebraska-Iowa could be, but I don't think many Nebraska fans value that very much. We value championships, long-term success, great games with championship implications, and we value mutual respect and sportsmanship above hatred.

Anyways, I understand that there are other rivalries built on hatred, like long, never-ending family feuds. Nebraska is different though. I think most Nebraska fans (at least the fans old enough to remember the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry) much prefer a rivalry built on respect, built on great games played year in and year out with championship implications, and where you feel that rival is the most worthy adversary you face each year, and you're grateful to go against them because of it.

but badgerfan makes a good point, hatred lasts a lot longer than mutual respect.

I'm not sure it does at Nebraska... Right now there are lots of Nebraska fans excited about the prospect of playing Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Who would be excited to play Colorado or Missouri, even if they were at the top of their game? I mean, we really hate Texas, but wouldn't we rather play Oklahoma?

It'll be interesting to see how our relationships with programs in the Big Ten develop. This Penn State scandal was really bad, but I'm not sure it's going to hurt their program in the long-term the way some people think it's going to...

http://my.journalsta..._of_thanks.html

http://www.dailynebr...=1#.TsGUGmBRxl1

This is how rivalries begin and flourish. Not with corporate sponsorship or kitschy names or forced trophies. A great game in extraordinary circumstances, and in the way of Nebraska-Oklahoma, it was full of mutual respect, rather than hatred.

Its debatable. I'd say most of the public, including myself, relish in the violent hatred driven rivalries. Most teams in the conference are your "friendly, respected rivals" except for that one, that when they come to town, its not a game. It's a battle in a never ending war. I don't know that you guys get that as Husker fans because your main rivals were who? OU. You have Kansas in between and even then you guys are in the northern bit of NE so you wouldn't see them much. Ohio State and Michigan hate each other because they compete for the same kids, their fans live and work with each other everyday. Same with WI-MN, MSU-UM, or any of the other really great rivalries in college.

You won't get that with PSU. I think it will come out of Iowa but at any rate it has to come out of history, the best ones are within states or between two bordering state schools. Look at Clemson and Carolina, those schools practically went to war in 1900 or so and the governor had to call in the guard. I love it :cheers

I agree that inventing rivalries is stupid though.

I understand that there are other great rivalries that have a foundation built on hatred. What you don't understand is that kind of rivalry doesn't fit Nebraska football, it just doesn't fit the way the fans approach the program or the game.

I'll admit that we have never really had a border war like Nebraska-Iowa could be, but I don't think many Nebraska fans value that very much. We value championships, long-term success, great games with championship implications, and we value mutual respect and sportsmanship above hatred.

Anyways, I understand that there are other rivalries built on hatred, like long, never-ending family feuds. Nebraska is different though. I think most Nebraska fans (at least the fans old enough to remember the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry) much prefer a rivalry built on respect, built on great games played year in and year out with championship implications, and where you feel that rival is the most worthy adversary you face each year, and you're grateful to go against them because of it.

but badgerfan makes a good point, hatred lasts a lot longer than mutual respect.

I'm not sure it does at Nebraska... Right now there are lots of Nebraska fans excited about the prospect of playing Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Who would be excited to play Colorado or Missouri, even if they were at the top of their game? I mean, we really hate Texas, but wouldn't we rather play Oklahoma?

It'll be interesting to see how our relationships with programs in the Big Ten develop. This Penn State scandal was really bad, but I'm not sure it's going to hurt their program in the long-term the way some people think it's going to...

sure, but the great rivalries that stand the test of time have all been based on hatred. OU dropped us like a bad habit when the big 12 was formed. any excitement to play them is based in nostalgia, not a true rivalry.

I don't think PSU understands this scandal at all and to the degree that a cover up was involved. JoePa is playing sly like a fox here but new reports are coming out each day about the perverse nature of that football program. Things like having it be required that coaches shower together after games and practices. JoePa controlled that program from top to bottom and had two very different personalities. The PR Joe loved by the press and the rat bastard Joe that was controlling and called abusive by some.

I'm sorry but they are the exact opposite of Husker fan and the way we do things. I don't think I will ever bring myself to like them or even find respect for that program. For that reason alone I don't think I'll consider them a rival. You have have to have respect for a rival. I can't give them that.

I don't think PSU understands this scandal at all and to the degree that a cover up was involved. JoePa is playing sly like a fox here but new reports are coming out each day about the perverse nature of that football program. Things like having it be required that coaches shower together after games and practices. JoePa controlled that program from top to bottom and had two very different personalities. The PR Joe loved by the press and the rat bastard Joe that was controlling and called abusive by some.

I'm sorry but they are the exact opposite of Husker fan and the way we do things. I don't think I will ever bring myself to like them or even find respect for that program. For that reason alone I don't think I'll consider them a rival. You have have to have respect for a rival. I can't give them that.

Hadn't heard that one. Link?

Haven't seen these reports...

That said, Barry Switzer was far from a saint too. Didn't keep Nebraska fans from respecting Oklahoma, or Switzer for that matter. Switzer is STILL very popular in Nebraska, despite the huge scandal he oversaw at Oklahoma.

The people who are saying they can't respect Penn State - the program or the university - because of this scandal are being unfair to the vast majority of people who are a part of that institution who had nothing to do this whole thing.

That said, Barry Switzer was far from a saint too. Didn't keep Nebraska fans from respecting Oklahoma, or Switzer for that matter. Switzer is STILL very popular in Nebraska, despite the huge scandal he oversaw at Oklahoma.

The people who are saying they can't respect Penn State - the program or the university - because of this scandal are being unfair to the vast majority of people who are a part of that institution who had nothing to do this whole thing.

The stuff that Switzer did makes him look like Mother Theresa compared to the stuff that's coming out of PSU right now. Not even a fair comparison.

Hadn't heard that one. Link?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/45283472/ns/sports-college_football/

It was also noted today that Joe sold his house to his wife for $1 in July. He claims it was for estate planning but several lawyers say that doesn't make any sense. It's usually done to protect ones assets from liability.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/sports/ncaafootball/in-july-paterno-transferred-ownership-of-home-to-his-wife-for-1.html

Don't tell me he didn't know what the hell was going to happen. He was just waiting for the shoe to fall.

The stuff that Switzer did makes him look like Mother Theresa compared to the stuff that's coming out of PSU right now. Not even a fair comparison.

Exactly. The PSU situation has no rival....not even close.