Don't shoot a buck if his head is behind brush

carlfense

Because . . . this may happen. I felt sick when I saw his whole rack after my shot.

Face blurred to protect the presumed innocent:

deer1.jpg

And here is the rack with a Busch Light can for scale:

deer2.jpg

The Story.

Opening morning at 7:10am a small buck appeared in one of my shooting lanes. He was looking back. The small buck jumped forward several feet when a large buck stepped into the lane behind him. I lifted my binoculars and decided that he was a shooter. The large buck then stepped out of the shooting lane and behind some low brush. At that point, an even LARGER buck appeared behind the large buck. This buck did not stop in my shooting lane until his head and neck was behind the brush. I had seen the left side of his rack clearly and he was definitely a shooter. I shot and the larger buck ran forward approximately 20 yards. As soon as he was clear of the brush he wobbled and fell . . . but by that time I saw that the left half of his rack was broken off just past the brow tine.

I still feel sick about it. His bases are like beer cans! My hand doesn't even come close to reaching around them. He would have been one of the largest deer I have ever shot . . . but I definitely would have let him walk another year if I had seen that his rack was broken.

Wow! That would have been a beautiful deer had the other side been symmetrical. A buddy of mine had a similar thing happen to him a couple of years ago. He shot a really good deer, which was on an all-out sprint. My buddy drilled the deer, but slammed into a rock and broke off a couple of drop tines. I was spotting for him and it was pretty entertaining watching him trying to jam empty .30-06 cartridges into the chamber. Buck fever :lol:

Wow! That would have been a beautiful deer had the other side been symmetrical. A buddy of mine had a similar thing happen to him a couple of years ago. He shot a really good deer, which was on an all-out sprint. My buddy drilled the deer, but slammed into a rock and broke off a couple of drop tines. I was spotting for him and it was pretty entertaining watching him trying to jam empty .30-06 cartridges into the chamber. Buck fever :lol:

I've been there. :)

• 2 months later...