Nebraska would win a NC once every 3 years if..

Great offenses that win championships RUN the ball, not throw it. When you need to punch it in from the 2-yd line, you run it. Even Oregon's offense has showed that this area is the fall-off of a spread offense. They fail to convert in tight situations. So no thanks. I'm content with the path that we are on.

That's right.

We "must" be able to run the ball to be great again. Fluffball will only take you so far....

Great offenses that win championships are capable of both running AND throwing the ball. If you rely heavily on one of those things because you have a deficiency in the other department, you won't win in this day and age.

Yep, those 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997 & 1999 NU teams would get crushed like bugs now.

Great offenses that win championships RUN the ball, not throw it. When you need to punch it in from the 2-yd line, you run it. Even Oregon's offense has showed that this area is the fall-off of a spread offense. They fail to convert in tight situations. So no thanks. I'm content with the path that we are on.

The 2010 Green Bay Packers disagree with you... <_<

There is an exception to every rule...

2009 New Orleans Saints.

The Saints actually had a good running game. They preferred to pass as the NFL basically dis-allows covering WR's, but when the Saints wanted and, more importantly, needed to run the ball, they were actually pretty darn good at it. I remember going into that Super Bowl debating with my friends about who would win. They all picked Indy, but I was all Saints. They could pass as well as Indy, but also run the ball. Saints won.

I'll give you the 10 Packers, but not the Saints. I could probably give you pages of teams that show how important running the ball is.

How about this stat? Since 2000, teams in the NFL that have rushed the ball 30 or more times while passing 20 times or less are 223-19 (0.921). That is impressive.

Great offenses that win championships are capable of both running AND throwing the ball. If you rely heavily on one of those things because you have a deficiency in the other department, you won't win in this day and age.

Yep, those 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997 & 1999 NU teams would get crushed like bugs now.

We cant recruit the athletes like we did then, more and more players want to be in a pro type of system where they can show their skills. Vick, Young, etc ruined the ability to recruit a fast qb that can throw in a option run oriented offense.

We cant recruit the athletes like we did then, more and more players want to be in a pro type of system where they can show their skills. Vick, Young, etc ruined the ability to recruit a fast qb that can throw in a option run oriented offense.

I think you're right to a certain extent. I really do believe that we have a group of good players on offense that are capable of winning a championship. They just need coached up.

On defense, we are in desperate need of better talent, especially on the D-line