So apparently in the latest board update applied here an IPboard developer in their infinite wisdom took out the ability to use another host for avatar/photos and/or the ability to have animated avatars.

In light of our bowl match up with USC, my old spurrier animation (trimmed down) seemed appropriate. Is there anyway to enable it or images hosted elsewhere? Like an admin option? Something?

spurrier3.gif

Thanks.

I have my own server plus sites like photobucket/imgur/whatever are there for that, it's my own gif, not something I lifted. It's also a tradeoff... I don't think huskerboard should have to use bandwidth for my image.

However, that didn't seem like the case. I went to their site to look up why this was changed, and it seemed to be changed because developers decided all those pretty little avatars on the forum index would be too distracting if animated. Also they want to push people into using Gravatar (which I am guessing is their login service).

Edit: actually it's still not working, so no big deal. It's not worth fighting around with the board for. I'll just say, I liked the old version better :P.

• 3 weeks later...

it was cut down to 163kb total. I even deleted frames so it'd be the same in IE, Firefox and Chrome, still wouldn't work. Before I gave up on spurrier as an avatar for the bowl game...

It's the board software, I read their message-boards. Their whole deal was they didn't want animated gifs on the index of the board because it'd be "too busy" so they disabled them for avatars, and gravatar *might* support them. So... yeah. I don't really care. I won't sign up willingly for web tracking software (again, I was young when myspace came out). Overall it pissed me off just enough to stop messing with it, thankfully for them. Although even typing this out has stirred new-found ire their way.

Animated gifs are fine as avatars. As AR said, it's a setting we can change and for us, animated avatars are currently allowed. File size is the issue here. I'm not sure what the stated file size limit is because I can't find it. I tried a 118kb gif and it wouldn't work. I guess the limit might be 100, or 75.

I don't know much about Gravatar, but as long as it is opt-in only and optional, it should not be a problem.

I hope you get that gif working for your avatar, redblooded. It's pretty awesome.

I wont, I cut it down from slightly above 500k to around 150k to get it to where it is, to go lower I'd have to cut both time and quality. Except it's not 1997 anymore, and although I have a very very small amount of sympathy for people with data-plans on cell providers as far as file size goes, those same people are streaming youtube videos, pandora, etc. Megs of data gone in a blink of an eye.

I also lost the psd because I reformatted last weekend, and don't especially feel like reworking it. Funny thing is, I could still get it to work, in 100% full vhs or whatever quality my national championship video was shot in as a signature... without a size limit and on any host I wanted. So my point was it was an arbitrary change to the board software.

I didn't mean to rant towards the staff really, it's an IP board decision, it just irked me.

Yeah, I don't know if we can change the limit on avatar size. AR may know better...it's too bad. I think if you want to cut it really aggressively, you'll just have to trim the dimensions of the image by quite a bit. I'm sorry if it turns out we can't do anything for you here.