Rudy. The con artist.

NUance

I know that movie is a work of fiction, and as such, I really like it. I'm under no illusions that it's a documentary.

the scenes were scripted to portray the real mood of the times, but yes the story is quite true. I watch it for the non football scenes because it feels like I'm in college again.

Not 100%. For example, Devine wasn't against Rudy like the movie has it, and players didn't offer up their jerseys for Rudy to get a spot in that game. The overall story was true (AFAIK). I think a lot of Huskers find fault with it because it makes it sound like so great that a walk on was actually able to persevere and actually play in a game, while we've had many walk-ons work their way into the starting lineup and contribute heavily, even to championship teams. But Rudy was the one who wrote the story and pushed and prodded to get his story told. btw, I do like the movie, a lot.

that's a prime example of adapting stuff for film. It would have been cumbersome to introduce other characters to bring out the opposition to Rudy but it fits to use one of the other known entities. So yeah Devine and Ruttiger's brother had to take the fall on that one.

I most liked how Rudy asked the mailman where he could find writer to pitch the script, the author really hated Notre Dame.

That should have been a HUGE red flag about his character IMO. Yes once movie writers take over and the movie people start pushing their angles things change. I know from some of my Mizzou friends that Devine was pissed about the whole thing. He felt that Rudy pushed him under the bus and made him to look like an a** when he was a major factor in rudy even being around or having a story to tell. Any one who would let and even have a role in their family and coaches be made to look bad so that he looked good and could make a buck is pretty much a douche in my book.

with that said the 'story' is a good one and i thought the movie was well put together. it just happens to center around a overall d-bag in real life.