Rudy. The con artist.

NUance

'Rudy' settles in SEC stock fraud case, pays $383K

CBSSports.com wire reports Friday December 16, 2011 - 10:18 PM

Daniel Ruettiger, who earned a walk-on spot on Notre Dame's college football team for his plucky play despite his small frame, dished out $382,866 to settle SEC charges for a pump-and-dump stock scheme that reportedly rolled up $11 million in profits for Rudy Nutrition, a now out of business soft-drink company.

"Investors were lured into the scheme by Ruettiger's well-known, feel-good story but found themselves in a situation that did not have a happy ending," Scott Friestad, Associate Director of the SEC's Division of Enforcement, said according to NewsCore.

LINK

Rudy 35 years ago: "Coach I just wanted to thank you for letting be a part of this football program this year." Rudy today: "SEC, I like to thank you for letting me defraud investors out of 11 million dollars."

My best friend in high school went to Notre Lame and they had Rudy come give a speech to inspire the students. He had already been in trouble with the law at that time and the Notre Lame students didn't like him. So yeah, not the best inspiration for a movie. On a related note, my friend turned into an elitist prick who married a doctor and I don't waste my time talking to him anymore. Thus, my hatred for Notre Dame is very strong.

I know that movie is a work of fiction, and as such, I really like it. I'm under no illusions that it's a documentary.

I agree, I thought the movie was good as well. Always liked to sit back on a cold fall saturday when there was not many good college football games on and watch that movie, even if it was ND. Having said that, I haven't heard many good things about the real Rudy either. Sounds like he was a jerk in real life and now apparently a crook as well.

I know that movie is a work of fiction, and as such, I really like it. I'm under no illusions that it's a documentary.

the scenes were scripted to portray the real mood of the times, but yes the story is quite true. I watch it for the non football scenes because it feels like I'm in college again.

Not 100%. For example, Devine wasn't against Rudy like the movie has it, and players didn't offer up their jerseys for Rudy to get a spot in that game. The overall story was true (AFAIK). I think a lot of Huskers find fault with it because it makes it sound like so great that a walk on was actually able to persevere and actually play in a game, while we've had many walk-ons work their way into the starting lineup and contribute heavily, even to championship teams. But Rudy was the one who wrote the story and pushed and prodded to get his story told. btw, I do like the movie, a lot.

There are probably 20 Husker walk-ons with better stories than Rudy. True stories--not fake Hollywood stories like Rudy. I always thought Matt Turman's college career would have made a MUCH better story than the fake Hollywood version of Dan "Rudy" Ruettiger.

the scenes were scripted to portray the real mood of the times, but yes the story is quite true. I watch it for the non football scenes because it feels like I'm in college again.

Not 100%. For example, Devine wasn't against Rudy like the movie has it, and players didn't offer up their jerseys for Rudy to get a spot in that game. The overall story was true (AFAIK). I think a lot of Huskers find fault with it because it makes it sound like so great that a walk on was actually able to persevere and actually play in a game, while we've had many walk-ons work their way into the starting lineup and contribute heavily, even to championship teams. But Rudy was the one who wrote the story and pushed and prodded to get his story told. btw, I do like the movie, a lot.

that's a prime example of adapting stuff for film. It would have been cumbersome to introduce other characters to bring out the opposition to Rudy but it fits to use one of the other known entities. So yeah Devine and Ruttiger's brother had to take the fall on that one.

I most liked how Rudy asked the mailman where he could find writer to pitch the script, the author really hated Notre Dame.

There are probably 20 Husker walk-ons with better stories than Rudy. True stories--not fake Hollywood stories like Rudy. I always thought Matt Turman's college career would have made a MUCH better story than the fake Hollywood version of Dan "Rudy" Ruettiger.

Do you own the rights?

I'm sure they wouldn't be hard to acquire. If anyone wanted to pursue it.