I'll see your free tats and raise you a free car!

2ndNnine

Report: Ohio State faces more scrutiny

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State's director of compliance is investigating at least 50 car sales to Buckeyes athletes and relatives to see if they met NCAA rules, The Columbus Dispatch reported Saturday.

The newspaper reported that a salesman who received game passes from Ohio State athletes handled many of the deals at two different dealerships. Ohio State has since taken the salesman, Aaron Kniffin, off the pass list.

Athletes are prevented from receiving special deals not available to other students. They are not permitted to trade autographs for discounts. Both dealerships display signed Ohio State memorabilia in their showrooms.

One car, a 2-year-old Chrysler 300 with fewer than 20,000 miles, was titled to then-sophomore defensive player Thaddeus Gibson in 2009. Documents show the purchase price as $0. Gibson said he did not know why the title showed a zero for the purchase price and said he was still paying for the car.

State law requires dealers to report accurate information about all car sales for tax purposes.

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor's mother and brother also purchased cars from the dealerships. Kniffin loaned his own car to Pryor for a three-day test drive to Pryor's home in Jeannette, Pa.

Kniffin and the owner of one of the dealerships he worked for, Jason Goss, have attended seven football games as guests of players, including the 2007 national championship game and the 2009 Fiesta Bowl.

Ohio State already has five players -- including Pryor -- serving five-game suspensions for accepting improper benefits from a tattoo parlor. The NCAA is investigating coach Jim Tressel, also suspended for five games, for knowing about the benefits but not telling superiors.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/05/07/osu-to-investigate-players-car-deals.html

Ohio State already has five players -- including Pryor -- serving five-game suspensions for accepting improper benefits from a tattoo parlor. The NCAA is investigating coach Jim Tressel, also suspended for five games, for knowing about the benefits but not telling superiors.

So how long do you think Pryor and Tressel will really be suspended?

This car situation just blows my mind. Not like there probably aren't a few dudes here riding dirty, but we were cleared when EMart got busted in his 1997 Olds Aurora...ouch. If I had to put money on it, I would say a majority of college athletes should probably be in similar rides (cost wise). I know I was riding in something similar and I worked during college. Anyways back to point:

2007 Chrysler 300 <20000 miles KBB value for Columbus area around $11500. Actual purchase price of car according to public documents: $0. Weird.

"Public records show that in 2009, a 2-year-old Chrysler 300 with less than 20,000 miles was titled to then-sophomore linebacker Thaddeus Gibson. Documents show the purchase price as $0.

Mauk could not explain it. "I don't give cars for free," he said. Gibson said he was unaware the title on his car showed zero as the sales price. "I paid for the car, and I'm still paying for it," he said, declining to answer further questions." -from actual Dispatch article (yes I know it was in May of this year, but still...)

Dude must have had one hell of a co-signer.

This car situation just blows my mind. Not like there probably aren't a few dudes here riding dirty, but we were cleared when EMart got busted in his 1997 Olds Aurora...ouch. If I had to put money on it, I would say a majority of college athletes should probably be in similar rides (cost wise). I know I was riding in something similar and I worked during college. Anyways back to point:

2007 Chrysler 300 <20000 miles KBB value for Columbus area around $11500. Actual purchase price of car according to public documents: $0. Weird.

"Public records show that in 2009, a 2-year-old Chrysler 300 with less than 20,000 miles was titled to then-sophomore linebacker Thaddeus Gibson. Documents show the purchase price as $0.

Mauk could not explain it. "I don't give cars for free," he said. Gibson said he was unaware the title on his car showed zero as the sales price. "I paid for the car, and I'm still paying for it," he said, declining to answer further questions." -from actual Dispatch article (yes I know it was in May of this year, but still...)

Dude must have had one hell of a co-signer.

The Ohio BMV (DMV) looked into it and saw absolutely nothing wrong with it. Regarding the amount on the title, it was more than likely tax related for the dealership regarding a trade-in than anything sneaky by a player. Again, this is old news. There was nothing illegal found and the dealerships did not give preferential treatment.

Regarding the amount on the title, it was more than likely tax related for the dealership regarding a trade-in than anything sneaky by a player.

Exactly.

If anyone wants to bother looking up the follow up stories they'll discover that Thad actually got raped by the dealership on his trade in and this allegedly wonderful deal was nothing of the sort.

...but then again that would disabuse some people of what they want to believe and we can't have that.

Regarding the amount on the title, it was more than likely tax related for the dealership regarding a trade-in than anything sneaky by a player.

Exactly.

If anyone wants to bother looking up the follow up stories they'll discover that Thad actually got raped by the dealership on his trade in and this allegedly wonderful deal was nothing of the sort.

...but then again that would disabuse some people of what they want to believe and we can't have that.

Yeah, I know several people that end up with a zero on the sales price on the title so they don't have to pay sales tax. Happens all the time.

Exactly.

Yeah, I know several people that end up with a zero on the sales price on the title so they don't have to pay sales tax. Happens all the time.

Why wouldn't the guy that owns the dealership give that as an answer then? Seems weird the owner didn't know what the hell was going on. Just like Gene Smith didn't know what was going on, right Buckeyes?

Exactly.

Why wouldn't the guy that owns the dealership give that as an answer then? Seems weird the owner didn't know what the hell was going on. Just like Gene Smith didn't know what was going on, right Buckeyes?

Tax evasion?

And you are probably pretty accurate with the comparison of Smith to a used car salesman. I am not kidding, I have wanted Gene Smith to be fired for a while. As soon as I heard him say it wasn't a systemic problem and he was unable to watch everything I thought it was time for him to go. Hire an AD who is up to the job.

Do most of you guys want Archie as the next AD? Or who would be on your shortlist?

No, not Archie, not because I don't think he wouldn't do a great job. Rather, I think he is doing a great job as the face of the alumni association and think he is better in that situation.