Doc's recruiting...........

Comish

Danny Nee says hello

Career Win % @ Nebraska

Nee - .572

Sadler - .557

Nee coached for 14 years and 444 games (254 wins). If Sadler coached as many games (at current win %) he'd win 247. That's seven fewer games won over 14 years. Not a lot different. Yes, Nee had a couple good teams but not outstanding (still no NCAA tourney wins). I'd call that "hard to win at Nebraska."

At least Nee got to the dance 5 times. And was a #3 seed one year. Your right no wins, but he was there.

A lot of this discussion has derailed, but I'll try to speak specifically to the recruiting. I've already said my peace about T.O. and the AAU connections a hundred times so I'll try to avoid that as best I can.

When Doc first came in he had a LOT of open scholarships but very, very, VERY little time to fill them. If he could do it over again, I'll bet you he would have left open a few schollies until he could better evaluate for the next year. So you start out with a huge incoming class of so-so talent.

The next thing that happened was he decided he can't get top notch talent, so he's going to get average talent and develop it. Naturally, this leads to redshirting guys. Now you have two classes with a large number of guys AND you are redshirting the best players. Not a bad decision to redshirt, but he probably needed to do a better job of making sure guys understood that meant they would not be playing for an entire year.

Look at any program across the nation, guys leave teams all the time. Attrition is a part of the basketball world these days. Problem is, Doc began losing more than one guy a year because he had some misses from the first thrown together class and other guys getting pissed about not playing. But we're in year 2/3 and he knows he needs to start showing something. He knows he can't get top level HS guys (duh) so he HAD to go hit the JUCO guys. By this point, you do have a lot of transfers, BUT you've thrown out so many schollies at guys that you classes are no longer abnormally big, in fact some are pretty small so by the time you feel immediate needs with JUCOs, you're unable to take any HS kids.

Look at last years class and this years class, Doc is finally getting past the mess (partially his fault, but not fully because it was SUCH a late hire) that plagued him the first 4 or 5 years with schollies. He's now got some guys in place and is starting to take better HS talent to bring in and develop. His classes are actually starting to look pretty decent and will continue to improve with the facilities coming into play. The biggest thing that needs to happen now is he needs to clean house (well, most of it) on his staff and convince T.O. to open up the pocket book just a little bit more and bring in some good assistants that can develop guys. He's getting about the best NU can hope for, now he just needs someone to develop it.