Chances of WCO hybrid

godd2

I am curious about if the WCO doesnt seem to work better soon will BC be willing to adopt a hybrid of option/WCO...we have always been a power team...we have always went in a just simply beat up other teams..we have not done that lately...any chance he could use nebraska's natural talents and combine it with his WCO?

that would be awesome, but it would never happen. i would to have a spread west coast option offense, just mix em all together and use what works, but we would need a qb with some speed and i dont know if taylor can get it done eventhough he has shown toughness. i dont think callahan has ever ran the option but im not sure

I am curious about if the WCO doesnt seem to work better soon will BC be willing to adopt a hybrid of option/WCO...we have always been a power team...we have always went in a just simply beat up other teams..we have not done that lately...any chance he could use nebraska's natural talents and combine it with his WCO?

I don't think power is - or has been for more than a few years - Nebraska's natural talent. At one time, particularly in the mid-90s and earlier, Nebraska was stronger than their opponents. That started tailing off in the late 90s.

Are the players not hitting the weights as much as they used to??? there used to be obvious domination on the line in the past...why not now

They are now, under Kennedy. However I believe the strength and conditioning aspect of the program wasn't emphasized as much in the late 90's and early 00's. In 03 Titus Adams looked like he spent more time in the buffet line than in the weight room.

Although it takes more than just brute force to be a good all around offensive lineman, it doesn't hurt.

Are the players not hitting the weights as much as they used to??? there used to be obvious domination on the line in the past...why not now

Let me predict the responses to this one:

1) There aren't any talented lineman left because of the previous coaching staff.

2) The lineman that are here don't know how to pass block because they weren't brought in for this system.

Did I get it right? As far as I'm concerned, these two excuses don't hold. Nebraska always had the knack of turning farmboys into monsters on the line. That just doesn't happen anymore, and it can't be just because they're asked to pass-block a lot more now. Maybe the conditioning isn't what it once was, as godd suggested. Maybe the coaches can't teach that well. I don't know. It's a good question. But the twin excuses of no talent and new system can only get you so far.

They are now, under Kennedy.

Shouldn't we be seeing some results of this after two years?

What results are you expecting to see? I don't think I have seen our kids getting out hustled or looking really out of shape on the field.

Recruits coming in are following strength and conditioning guidlines before they even step on campus. One good example is Beck. He came to camp this fall in great physical shape AFAIK.Current players MUST follow diet guidlines and participate in off and during season strength and conditioning. Something I'm not sure was really empasized in recent history.

Like I said, for the offensive line as an example, more than just brute force is needed to be a good player. Never-the-less it is needed. I'm sorry to say, but a good, DEEP line isn't built in a year or even two or three.

Did I get it right? As far as I'm concerned, these two excuses don't hold. Nebraska always had the knack of turning farmboys into monsters on the line. That just doesn't happen anymore, and it can't be just because they're asked to pass-block a lot more now. Maybe the conditioning isn't what it once was, as godd suggested. Maybe the coaches can't teach that well. I don't know. It's a good question. But the twin excuses of no talent and new system can only get you so far.

See, as far as I'm concerned the whole "we took kids who raised cattle with their dad and turned them into NFL stars" is hogwash. The lines of the mid-90's had talent and the wherewithal to be great and they were. They were just plain good at what they did. Yea, I'm sure Tenopir had a lot to do with that, but he wasn't exactly starting with kids that had never seen a football before.

Did I get it right?  As far as I'm concerned, these two excuses don't hold.  Nebraska always had the knack of turning farmboys into monsters on the line.  That just doesn't happen anymore, and it can't be just because they're asked to pass-block a lot more now.  Maybe the conditioning isn't what it once was, as godd suggested.  Maybe the coaches can't teach that well.  I don't know.  It's a good question.  But the twin excuses of no talent and new system can only get you so far.

See, as far as I'm concerned the whole "we took kids who raised cattle with their dad and turned them into NFL stars" is hogwash. The lines of the mid-90's had talent and the wherewithal to be great and they were. They were just plain good at what they did. Yea, I'm sure Tenopir had a lot to do with that, but he wasn't exactly starting with kids that had never seen a football before.

Yes, but alot of the better Olineman of past were not the top recruits, alot were walkons and alot were "rejects" that other schools wouldnt recruit.

Outland winner A. Taylor is a perfect example.

From my experience, pass blocking is much easier than run blocking.

From my experience, pass blocking is much easier than run blocking.

Agreed just because you don't have the pulling and what now but zone blocking is harder than man on man blocking. Nebraska and many other schools use zone blocking schemes. For the most part. I should say most of the protections zac is calling are probably zone blocking schemes.

Your footwork is very important in passblocking.

True former, many of the guys we recruited were not the highly touted guys coming out of high school, but then again we were recruiting to a much different system. We were able to take those shorter guys who could get great leverage in iso blocking schemes and drive them back. When you pass 50% of the time however, you need those taller olineman so that the dline cant see over them and swat balls. The taller guys are usually more desirable for most teams, which is why they were rated higher, but it doesnt neccessarily mean that they are better lineman if the others are inserted into the right system. Having by far the best strength program in the country, which became nationally famous and is featured in lifting magazines and copied by hundreds of schools across the country, including my high school, doesnt hurt either. Without husker power, we probably wouldnt have been nearly as good a team.