Super Bowl rosters filled with recruiting underdog stories

If you're a high school senior football player who didn't sign with an FBS program this week, there's no need to feel sorry for yourself.

One look at the New England Patriots should provide all the inspiration you need.

The Patriots' 53-man active roster includes 36 players who attended high school since the current version of Rivals.com started in 2002. Of those 36 players, 18 were two-star recruits or didn't appear in the Rivals.com database at all.

That's right. Half the Patriots who came up during the Rivals.com era weren't five-star, four-star or even three-star prospects. Eleven of those 36 players signed with FBS programs as two-star recruits. The remaining seven either began their college careers as walk-ons or enrolled at non-FBS programs.

Continue Reading

I know Belichick does wonders working non star players into his system. I always look for Danny Woodhead. I'm not a huge pro football fan but I kinda root for the Patriots just because they play as a team and don't rely on a few stars to carry them. It just goes to show there is still room for a group of guys who want to play as a team.

I know the other side of the arguement, that a higher percentage of 4 and 5 stars become stars vs 2 stars so krishusker doesnt have to break out all those stats again. I still think this is impressive and feel its the same thing Bo does here and is trying to do. Cassidy might not be the fastest or the most talented but hes rarely out of position and you can always depend on him to play within the system and work hard everyday. And it proves that Belichek is a great coach and hires great coaches (often younger ones) Burkhead is Woodhead, Welker is Tim Marlow Brady is Tmagic.... :sarcasm It all comes down to the ability to recognize talent and then coach it. I have no doubt in my mind that Bo and Co can recognize talent, still up in the air if they can consistently develop it. Defense yes, offense is a work in progress. Only time will tell if the offensive coaches have what it takes.