Missouri River fishing in South Dakota

CornHunka

My father-in-law keeps hounding me about going to Oahe and unfortunately I won't be able to do it for at least a month. Is it worth going to in late July or August or does the fishing slow down quite a bit from earlier in the year? Better to fish Oahe or south of Pierre? I have never fished that area so am totally clueless so any help would be appreciated. The only "river" fishing I've done for Walleye has been a big river system in Ontario so recommendations on bait and presentations would also be appreciated.

Fishing in Oahe is good year round. If you fish below the damn you can catch plenty of fish but they are usually smaller. I like to go up to the Cheyene River and usually cath bigger ones up there. as i have mentioned my brother lives in Pierre and his 9 year old son caught a 29incher last weekend. I go in August and sometimes in October if it works out.

Hey 95, any report or pictures???

I fished up on Oahe lake Friday. We went out to Bush Landing and we caught our limit in no time. The fish are biting really well. The issue is they are all pretty skinny. We caught a ton of 13-16 inchers. we caught a couple 17-19 inchers. Saturday we went to West Bend or Big Bend recreational area and again about the same thing. a ton of little ones but we ended up catching out limit quickly and just upgrading all day. Sunday we went back up to Bush landing and had some good luck. Caught some northern and a few smallies. I had a monster smallie on and one of the guys was netting it knocked it off. The last day Monday, we went up the Cheyenne River and pulled plugs down the river. The wind was pretty fierce outta the west so that made it easier to go down river. We ended up catching our limit with much fatter fish. more of them were 16-19 inches and caught 3 over 22 inches. All of these fish were much healthier and fatter.

The fishing was great and the beer went down smooth. the weather could have been better but it wasnt horrible. a little wind never hurts anything.

Here is a pic of the 2 my buddy caught. His first time Walleye fishing:

382425_10151182508969992_500044991_13357672_1798285628_n.jpg

solid!!! how do you prepare and cook em?

I usually use italian bread crumbs and mix my own spices in them and fry them. or shake and bake them in the oven.

My father-in-law keeps hounding me about going to Oahe and unfortunately I won't be able to do it for at least a month. Is it worth going to in late July or August or does the fishing slow down quite a bit from earlier in the year? Better to fish Oahe or south of Pierre? I have never fished that area so am totally clueless so any help would be appreciated. The only "river" fishing I've done for Walleye has been a big river system in Ontario so recommendations on bait and presentations would also be appreciated.

Fishing in Oahe is good year round. If you fish below the damn you can catch plenty of fish but they are usually smaller. I like to go up to the Cheyene River and usually cath bigger ones up there. as i have mentioned my brother lives in Pierre and his 9 year old son caught a 29incher last weekend. I go in August and sometimes in October if it works out.

Thanks for the info. Any nice quiet places to tie the anchor around my father-in-law's foot and push him overboard? Ha!

Thanks for the info. Any nice quiet places to tie the anchor around my father-in-law's foot and push him overboard? Ha!

Just cruise nicely till there are no boats in sight... lol.

• 2 weeks later...