Cornhuskers Also Spend Big Money On Basketball

Nebraska Football Still Rules, But Cornhuskers Also Spend Big Money On Basketball

By Joe Loyd - Staff Writer, SB Nation

<snip>

This does not mean though that crazy amounts of money are not also being spent on basketball coaches and programs across the country. For a perfect example of how much money is still not only being spent on but generally involved with a "secondary" sport like basketball, fans only have to look towards the basketball hotbed that is the University of Nebraska Lincoln.

<snip>

So if you are keeping score at home the total amount to be paid in the upcoming 2012-2013 school year strictly in base salary to Sadler, Miles and the new assistant coaches will equate too roughly $2.9 million overall. In the world of big time college basketball this figure is not fully overwhelming as Bill Self gets paid a reported three million dollars annually but Nebraska is not getting anywhere near the return on their investment as KU is.

The amount of money being spent by Nebraska on their basketball program is not limited strictly to just their coaching hiring and firing.

In an effort to try and show dedication to both their men's and women's basketball programs the university opened up in 2011 a state of the art $18.7 million training complex. The facility was fully paid for by donations and fundraising efforts with the major portion donated by Tom and Mary Hendricks who gave $10 million.

LINK

Wonder how long it'll be before we see a return on our investment in Husker basketball?

I'm optimistic about Miles. While I doubt the investment will pay immediate dividends in the long run I believe that their is a good chance our program becomes respectable.

Yeah, I'm opTIMistic too. (Sorry--couldn't resist.) We are in the midst of a major facility upgrade, nearly $20 million worth. And we desperately needed a coaching upgrade as well. Miles is a energetic young coach on the rise. I think he was a GREAT get for us. He'll take us to the next level. I hope. :thumbs: