Olympic boxer Teofilo Stevenson dies

By ANNE-MARIE GARCIA | The Associated Press – Mon, Jun 11, 2012 9:45 PM EDT

HAVANA (AP) Cuban boxer Teofilo Stevenson, the three-time Olympic heavyweight champion with a devastating right hand and a gentlemanly demeanor, has died. He was 60.

''The Cuban sporting family was moved today by the passing of one of the greatest of all time,'' said a statement read on the news Monday night. He died of heart disease, it added.

LINK

One of the greatest amateur boxers ever. Maybe THE greatest. RIP boxing legend.

• 2 weeks later...

espn_a_stevenson_sy_600.jpg

But we argued endlessly about Stevenson and Muhammad Ali and would they ever fight and if so, who would win? Our guy and their guy. Money, embargo and the dictators Fidel Castro and Don King kept them apart. Ali was thicker and stronger and faster, we said, and Stevenson, an elegant and unbeatable mystery, had only ever cuffed around Latvians or Estonians a couple rounds at a time. He'd never last past the sixth. On the rare occasions we saw him box, he was lean, upright and murderous. Silent. Unsmiling. A killer of lesser U.S. talents like Duane Bobick and John Tate. Still, we assumed as a matter of religious conviction, political science and apple pie calculus that Ali would beat him, badly, and that the outcome would be the same if we sent Joe Frazier or George Foreman after him. Maybe even Ken Norton. Our gloves were loaded with democracy, after all, so our guys were punching for freedom. Just like Popeye or cartoon Joe Louis! The divine fix was in.

LINK

Another article about Teofilo Stevenson. There was a chapter about him in a book I read a while back, "Pitching Around Fidel". Teofilo Stevenson was a giant among boxers. And an idealist among Cubans. He could've made millions by skipping to the U.S. But chose to stay in Cuba. I think I would've taken a different path if I was in his shoes.