Letting North Korea Starve - Morton Abramowitz

Unfortunately, there is a complicating factor, and that is the large number of Korean families that were split up by the Korean War. The South Koreans put a lot of pressure on their Government to try and reunite families while the North Koreans exploit that situation for all it's worth. They (the DPRK) will arrange for families from the south to travel north to reunite with their families for a weekend and then at the last moment cancel the visit based upon a trumped up crisis. I believe that the only reason the PRC supports the DPRK (and it's not much support) is because they don't want the some 20 million North Koreans flooding China should the regime fall. The border between China and North Korea is an open border as far as the Chinese are concerned...all of the guards are on the DPRK side to keep the Koreans out of China. Huge black market across the common border - mostly from Koreans going over to China to work at slave wages and bringing back used clothing and other things not available in North Korea - like food.

I think that's a damn good analysis of the situation. I now live in China and I can fully assure you that the last thing in the world they want or need is another 20 million people to feed.

India, China, Mexico, etc.....God help this world. Just one decent famine away from TSHTF.

Unfortunately, there is a complicating factor, and that is the large number of Korean families that were split up by the Korean War. The South Koreans put a lot of pressure on their Government to try and reunite families while the North Koreans exploit that situation for all it's worth. They (the DPRK) will arrange for families from the south to travel north to reunite with their families for a weekend and then at the last moment cancel the visit based upon a trumped up crisis. I believe that the only reason the PRC supports the DPRK (and it's not much support) is because they don't want the some 20 million North Koreans flooding China should the regime fall. The border between China and North Korea is an open border as far as the Chinese are concerned...all of the guards are on the DPRK side to keep the Koreans out of China. Huge black market across the common border - mostly from Koreans going over to China to work at slave wages and bringing back used clothing and other things not available in North Korea - like food.

I think that's a damn good analysis of the situation. I now live in China and I can fully assure you that the last thing in the world they want or need is another 20 million people to feed.

India, China, Mexico, etc.....God help this world. Just one decent famine away from TSHTF.

I envy your living "in interesting times" in China.