Our Passing Game In The Big 12 So Far

You can argue this point both ways. Even though Dailey was a Soph how much playing time did he actually get behind Lord? So actually he was a freshman option quarterback trying to learn the WCO. Would he do any better this year. I think he would have but we will never know now.

One of the other posts said that Dailey has not been lighting it up out in North Carolina. Well that is because he has red shirted and is sitting out this season.

I dont want to sound like I am a Dailey supporter and think that he was run out of NU, he could have been a good option quarter back, but not in this system. He would have been better this year than last but he would not have been better then Taylor.

By burning Becks redshirt barring injury this should be the Qb rotation for the next few years.

Next Year

1 Taylor

2 Beck

3 Ganz

Freeman RS

07 & 08

1 Beck

2 Freeman

next qb stud recruit RS

I was not real happy about burning the red shirt saturday but had this explained to me and now it makes sense.

I dont think that Calli did it to save his butt, I do think that he did it for the team. Maybe after all Calli is a team player.

Only time will tell

If BC would have tried to play it safe and ignore the #2 QB spot and put in Ganz and then there had been a turnover resulting in a KSU field goal, the naysayers would have been out in full force. Under that circumstance it would have been much more unlikely that Ganz would have been able to bring the team back to within field goal range to seal the victory, in my opinion. We would have then saved the redshirt, lost the game, the season and the bowl (and maybe a recruit or 2).

The most important passing stat to me is usually Yards per Attempt. It tells you about all you need to know about how a passing game and the offense as a whole is performing. NU is at the lower end of the Big 12 with 5.9 yards per attempt. Brad Smith at MO and Brian Luke of Kansas are behind him at 5.4 and 5.5 respectively.

While Texas Tech's Hodges and Texas' Young are in big producing offenses that probably inflate their stats at 8.2 and 9.9 (for Young.. wow!), a better comparison is Bret Meyer who average 7.9 Yards per Attempt... and a 2-1 TD to Int ratio.

Say what you want, I think the offensive talent at ISU is similar/comparable to the offensive talent at NU - especially when you factor in the injuries their offense had this year.

Finally, Dailey's interceptions were a killer last year, but the offense averaged 6.5 yards per attempt with him at the helm. Not a great number, but not bad either.

Given the schedule we had this year, I find it hard to say that we've improved that much.

If you look at the yds/attempt by Joe Montana in their

Super Bowl years you would find the figure low. That offense used the passing game as many teams used the running game. The Raiders, in contrast, liked to get the long ball and deep posts. They were not as successful as the 49ers. Bill Walsh's WCO was designed for the slant and other short routes. I don't think your conclusion of yds/attempt is valid.

What if Cally played both Taylor and Beck next year?

There have been multiple dual QB offenses that produced "highlight" seasons.

Thoughts?

I don't really like the thought of a dual QB system, especially with our offense. However, I would love to see a couple of games decided by the third quarter so we could get Beck some valuable playing time. That would be the best case scenario. I just believe that using two qb's in a game can either take a qb out of a rhythm (Mizzou game this year), or it can prevent a qb from gaining a rhythm. I know it worked for Louisville last year but I just don't see it working with this team and this offense.

If you look at the yds/attempt by Joe Montana in their

Super Bowl years you would find the figure low. That offense used the passing game as many teams used the running game. The Raiders, in contrast, liked to get the long ball and deep posts. They were not as successful as the 49ers. Bill Walsh's WCO was designed for the slant and other short routes. I don't think your conclusion of yds/attempt is valid.

Unfortunately, the data doesn't back up your assumption that I am incorrect. Montana and the SF offense did throw many short passes, BUT his yards per attempt was high for his career and very high during their best seasons.

Super bowl years:

1981 7.3

1984 8.4

1988 7.5

1989 9.1

CAREER: 7.5

As a comparison, Kenny Stabler averaged 7.4 yards per carry (9.4 in their super bowl year), but he was a very accurate passer in a very effective offense.

As a statistic, the average per ATTEMPT factors in the risk of the pass versus the length that is attempted. In other words, short, accurate passes up your average, but the distance isn't as much. Long passes don't have the average, but do get more yardage.

Don't confuse this statistic with yards per Completion!!!

I haven't been able to find sortable career statistics on it, but you can bet that whenever a QB has a huge yards per attempt stat (in almost any offense) you will see a successful offense.

One other note. Take a look at Donovan McNabb's career. From 1999 to 2003 his avearge per attempt was between 4.4 his rookie year and 6.7 in 2003. In 2004, they add T.O. and their running game is very strong, his yards per attempt go up to 8.3 and they go to the super bowl. Just look at the super bowl teams for the past 5 years, similar patterns emerge. There are some anomolies, but generally a team is up around 8 yrds/attempt when they get to the big game.

If you don't see improvement in the passing game you are blind. 

The running game is another story.

:yeah

Or just a :dumdum

They have made improvement in passing.....very, very little improvment. I would have hoped for much more by now.

Like I said, it really hasnt meant much, unfortunately.

:thumbs:woo Yes, I believe that is the epitome of "no sh*t, sherlock", right there.

Well I'm sorry you were disapointed, former. I don't know how everyone could do that to you. Poor baby :sarcasm

====

Sorry, that just made me laugh

====

Now, down to business........

I think the Bill Walsh/49ers commment is a good one. The running game/having a good oline is invaluable. They say a QBs best friend is a good running game, and I believe that is the case, since it dramatically takes pressure off of the QB. We can look at USC for an example of this.

One thing about the old days, though....... just like in NCAA, NFL football was a lot different then. the WCO was "new" then, or at least more so, and the structure of the game, the business aspect, everything has changed, at least from what little I know. So it is a valid point, though there are alot of factors.

As for this year...... I don't really know how accurate any QB stats can be, because it seems like the O line really isn't allow ZT to show his skill. ANd who knows, maybe that is the same case as last year, but form the sound of it, the O line is hurting the entire offense.

=========

I think there may be an improvement this year, but there are too many other things clouding it. A bowl game is an improvement. And I do agree on Former with this - it is not much of an improvement.

But it is a step in the right direction. The Huskers need to take the ball and run with it, though.......