5th year of eligibility proposed

DaveH

Didn't the NCAA rule against this a couple of years ago?

What they need to do is make athletic scholarships good for 5 years, even if the kid can only play for 4. Does that make any sense? If an athlete plays his freshman, sophomore, junior and senior years (and doesn't get redshirted) he's still under scholarship for another year. Give him/her even another year under scholarship if they do get redshirted.

i never knew that if you redshirted and went to the 5th year you had to pay for the tuition?

if that is true i feel bad for the student athletes that come in from out of state because the out of state tuition at NU is about 3X that of the instate tuition

nah, after like a year of living in Nebraska they gain residency. I'm sure that most of the football players have to live here too, b/c of all the summer conditioning they do. I mean they still go home for awhile, but they continue to actually live in Lincoln which gives them residency and the lower tuition rate.

The 5 year plan seems to be more fair than a 4 year/redshirt system when all the stats show like was mentioned that most people take at least 5 years to graduate. It lets freshman see the field without sacrificing getting their degree under a shorter timeframe.

IMO there needs to be in place some requirement that the student/athlete is financially responsible for any and all expenses if they leave school early for the pro draft. Scholastic or medical deficits should not count but with the clause that if the student flunks out and then is drafted the same applies. If the student is just using the college athletic department as a stepping stone they should be good enough to pay for the showcase opportunity. On the other hand many people think (EC from Omaha) that student/athletes should be paid since the colleges are making bank on them anyway. AR needs to draft that legislation me thinks.