reasons why college football is bizarre

In college football, they rank the teams before a down is even played. I've always found that practice extremely bizarre. Then if you start off your season better than intended, your ranks go up better than they really should or if you start off with a wounded duck to what is otherwise a fine football program, you suffer in the rankings more than you should.

I understand they've moved toward a playoff type system. I hope they end up with some type of “you are what you are” system where you know exactly what your team needs to do to make the playoffs, and, if it does so, you know exactly what it must do to win a championship. No more pollings or rankings at all. Just football. As for what I saw on my TV screen on Saturday … ugh. I had stayed home because of illness. It's just as well. Taylor Martinez looks like a smart kid who can play some quarterback, but not the type of player who can lead an NFL team to a Super Bowl victory. He looks like the type who if he plays in the pros is a career journeyman/backup or arena player. Granted, I would love for him to prove me wrong. I would love for him to turn out to be the next Joe Namath. I'm just not seeing it.

There is pro football in Omaha. It's Arena Ball, the Omaha Beef. I've never seen them play, and I find myself living several states away anyway. And, The Beef? That's food. What a dumb name for a team. Are they going to play against the Hawaiian Pineapples? Well, I think you'll agree if it's football in Nebraska it just ain't the same if it ain't Big Red.

And what's the deal with Grape Nuts?! Ya open it up, no grapes, no nuts! Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one?!

Did you ever stop and think about the word Nuts? It can be a dry fruit carried inside a pod or shell. Or it can describe the mental state of a person--either insane or just really enthusiastic about something. Or nuts can be a slang term for a guy's testicles. Or it could be a nonsensical response to a request to surrender an indefensible position in a battle--say in WWII in the Battle of the Bulge. The disparity in these definitions is just nuts.