Daryle Hawkins

You win some, you lose some. Congrats to the kid, he is playing the game he loves for a great team. Sorry we missed him, but this happens everywhere.

We can not offer every single kid from the state of Nebraska, nor can we expect them to walk on when one of the top programs offer them a scolly.

I'm very glad for him. I'm not saying we can offer every kid from Nebraska, that's not the point. My point is that we missed on a kid that in high school 50 miles down the road who had some legitimate athletic ability. Instead, we have guys on our team with much less ability out on the field. Just pointing out that talent is available to us. If he can play at Oregon he could definitely play for this team.

Very quietly the lanky 6'4 kid from Omaha Central is making a name for himself out in the Pacific Northwest. While he only has 4 catches this year, he has made enough of an impression on the coaches to stay atop the depth chart at WR for the Ducks. Hawkins wasn't a blue chip recruit out of high school, but anyone who saw him play or run track knew that this kid was an athlete. If he's good enough to start at WR for the #4 ranked team in the nation, not to mention an offense built on athleticism it is hard to think he couldn't be having an impact on either side of the ball for us this year. With his speed and athleticism I could see him fitting in very nicely in the peso. Tough to let a kid like this go from your own backyard. Oregon found a way to use and develop him, why can't we do the same?

Sucks we missed a local kid, I suppose, but it's not as if we are lacking for talent at receiver and I see no reason to think he could have been a defender for us, so I don't really see a big loss here. (by the way, the biggest requirements of the peso/dime position are toughness and awareness, ala hagg and gomes, so you can play like an undersized coverage linebacker. Being lanky and athletic is hardly evidence that he'd be good at it.)

I'm happy for this kid's success, but it hardly makes for a referendum on our recruiting.

• Fire 1
You win some, you lose some. Congrats to the kid, he is playing the game he loves for a great team. Sorry we missed him, but this happens everywhere. We can not offer every single kid from the state of Nebraska, nor can we expect them to walk on when one of the top programs offer them a scolly.
I'm very glad for him. I'm not saying we can offer every kid from Nebraska, that's not the point. My point is that we missed on a kid that in high school 50 miles down the road who had some legitimate athletic ability. Instead, we have guys on our team with much less ability out on the field. Just pointing out that talent is available to us. If he can play at Oregon he could definitely play for this team.

Of course it looks like Nebraska should have offered him now. Look at his Rivals page: 5.2 rating, 2 star, 10th best player in Nebraska in 2009. If we would have offered him everyone would have been asking what is Bo doing. I'm glad for him, but can't blame the staff for not offering though.