Daryle Hawkins

Very quietly the lanky 6'4 kid from Omaha Central is making a name for himself out in the Pacific Northwest. While he only has 4 catches this year, he has made enough of an impression on the coaches to stay atop the depth chart at WR for the Ducks. Hawkins wasn't a blue chip recruit out of high school, but anyone who saw him play or run track knew that this kid was an athlete. If he's good enough to start at WR for the #4 ranked team in the nation, not to mention an offense built on athleticism it is hard to think he couldn't be having an impact on either side of the ball for us this year. With his speed and athleticism I could see him fitting in very nicely in the peso. Tough to let a kid like this go from your own backyard. Oregon found a way to use and develop him, why can't we do the same?

Very quietly the lanky 6'4 kid from Omaha Central is making a name for himself out in the Pacific Northwest. While he only has 4 catches this year, he has made enough of an impression on the coaches to stay atop the depth chart at WR for the Ducks. Hawkins wasn't a blue chip recruit out of high school, but anyone who saw him play or run track knew that this kid was an athlete. If he's good enough to start at WR for the #4 ranked team in the nation, not to mention an offense built on athleticism it is hard to think he couldn't be having an impact on either side of the ball for us this year. With his speed and athleticism I could see him fitting in very nicely in the peso. Tough to let a kid like this go from your own backyard. Oregon found a way to use and develop him, why can't we do the same?

I know we showed interest in him and if I remember he had an offer to join the team and chose between the two schools. I don't recall if they offered a scholarship or not.

I know we showed interest in him and if I remember he had an offer to join the team and chose between the two schools. I don't recall if they offered a scholarship or not.

Yeah, it looks like they offered and we didn't. LINK He would've been a steal as a walk-on, which is probly what our coaches were trying to do.

Why was this thread even started?....

We always hear about how little of talent there is in this state for football. Well when they are 50 miles down the road we better keep them here. Just showing that times have changed. Oregon's unique way of doing things was able to pull a kid out of the state where football is everything. Shows that kids looking at Nebraska don't see it the same way anymore.

Why was this thread even started?....

We always hear about how little of talent there is in this state for football. Well when they are 50 miles down the road we better keep them here. Just showing that times have changed. Oregon's unique way of doing things was able to pull a kid out of the state where football is everything. Shows that kids looking at Nebraska don't see it the same way anymore.

Thank you Steve and Bill.

I don't think it's quite as cut and dry as many seem to think it is. College has gotten extremely expensive. I find it more than just a little difficult to argue the logic of someone taking a scholly at another school to go for free versus having to pay their own way racking up large student loans just to play for the Huskers. Kids today are going to the Doane's, Kearney's, Chadron's, etc. rather than walking on because of this. I can't say that I blame them in any way.

You win some, you lose some. Congrats to the kid, he is playing the game he loves for a great team. Sorry we missed him, but this happens everywhere.

We can not offer every single kid from the state of Nebraska, nor can we expect them to walk on when one of the top programs offer them a scolly.