If not Coz then who.

husker rob

havent walk on's almost always started or rotated in at a couple of positions, its always been one of the strengths for the program i thought, having talent that wanted to stay home and play.

Maybe on special teams (kickoffs and kick returns), but not with the volume of walk-on's we had in the past 10 years.

This isn't entirely accurate. If you look at the national championship teams from the 90's they always had a lot of quality walk-ons either starting or playing significant snaps in the 2-deep.

the Makovicka's, Scott Shanle (now in the NFL) and many others started their careers as walk-ons and earned their scholarships as they played.

He is saying almost always. I am saying no way, not with the volume of walk-ons we have had in the past. Sure, we have had some great walk-on's but I don't think that most walk ons that came in ended up starting.

We need to find a list of walk ons and a collection of two deep rosters. Then we can know for sure ;)

I DIDN'T say that almost all walk-ons ended up starting or in the 2-deep. What I said is that all of our great teams had a good number of walk-ons playing significant roles. In comparison the number of walk-ons on this team is relatively small.

I'm looking for a 2-deep from '95, but just about any of those years will show the same thing.

Kiffen's son might work but you have to look at the amount of points that USC is giving up they are lucky to have such a potent offense to keep there streak alive.

How many sons have turned out to be good coaches? I thought that Skip Holtz was going to get SC's job then they hire Spurrier. The Bowdens are still debatable.

I remember alot of walk ons on offense ie the makovika brothers, i.m. hipp, ect.  i dont remember many walk ons starting on defense?

a little help here

thanks

Off the top of my head from the 2 Deep within the last 12-15 years-Bruce Moore, J Pesterfield, Brian Shaw (lb), Jared Tomich, S Shanle, Jamel Williams (possibly?), Ty Williams (possibly??), Fullman.

Im sure that there are quite a few more. I think that both of the NO 2 DTs from the 94 team were walkons, possibly, but I dont remember both of their names.

I think that both of the aforementioned Williams's were both Prop 48's, so Im not sure if they were considered walkons or not. There have been alot of Walkons who have contributed to the success of NU.

As far as who would be a good candidate to replace these coaches, there are tons of great candidates. However, Im sure that billy c wont chose anyone who has ties to the great days of NU football. Remember, hes trying to change the traditions here as much as he can. :wtf Besides, the way that these guys were done, none would come back as long as pud/billy c are here.

if i remember right Tomich was a last minute addition to the recruiting class after all of the scholarships were given out. He was promised he would get a scolarship if any of the others didnt qualify for some reason and if all did he would get one the next season. which he did for the beginning of his soph. year.

i could be wrong but i do believe that was the case. so can you really count him as a true walk on?

the makovika's were true walk-ons all the way through to graduation. one if not both were offered scholarships but turned them down b/c dad was a dentist and he paid for thier educational costs. a true husker family, pay your kids way to college even though they started and deserved scholarships but dad wanted the Huskers to give those scholarships to other recruits that needed them more.

now that is a donation to the program

the makovika's were true walk-ons all the way through to graduation. one if not both were offered scholarships but turned them down b/c dad was a dentist and he paid for thier educational costs. a true husker family, pay your kids way to college even though they started and deserved scholarships but dad wanted the Huskers to give those scholarships to other recruits that needed them more.

now that is a donation to the program

:yeah

:cheers

sorry Dave, cant really think of many more than the others have listed, looked for a little something, but didnt find much, but i found this interesting piece, its from the mid 90's or so.

As national scholarship signing day fades into the sunset, the Huskers turn their attention to the walk-ons. NU expects at least 17 walk-ons to join the program, according to the Daily Nebraskan.

Coach Tom Osborne told the DN, "If we didn't have the walk-ons come here, I think it wouldn't be long before we became a second-rate program. They're very, very important to us." Osborne added that the walk-ons were like having an extra five to eight scholarships a year.

thought this kinda made my point ill look for something better when im have some more time.

Never said they weren't important, but the idea that we won NC's just because we had a good run with good players that wanted to walk on here isn't right. It's fun, it's makes a great story maybe even a Rudy type movie. We aren't going to be turning away great walk on athletes. Yea, I couldn't go and walk on at NU but why should I? I couldn't play D1 ball.

Kiffen's son might work but you have to look at the amount of points that USC is giving up they are lucky to have such a potent offense to keep there streak alive.

How many sons have turned out to be good coaches? I thought that Skip Holtz was going to get SC's job then they hire Spurrier. The Bowdens are still debatable.

Pete Carroll is USC's defensive coordinator. Lane Kiffin is the Offensive coordinator, receivers coach and recruiting coordinator.