Beck's playcalling/use of Martinez

JTrain

[ultimately on O, we still have no identity. With Cally it was some WCO crap, then became a WCO hybrid and then WCO with spread thrown in and last year spread, WCO, with zone read etc, etc, etc.... How do you recruit when we have no idea what the heck we want to be.

I don't think we were lacking an identity under Callahan. I always think the 'jack of all trades' stuff is overblown. All offenses aim to be versatile and hit the defense in different ways. With Callahan, what we had was a rebuild-the-pipeline project. We frequently had a stable of RBs (remember the 'pound the rock' theme?) and leaned on that, with system QBs that were dialed in to the offense. Zac Taylor was a beast at working the game, coach on the field there.

Keller brought a downfield passing game with his arm, but he also brought a ton of distractions. Plus, we kept getting down in games that year - so we all know how that went.

In 2009 we were limited for nearly the entire year, because our starting QB hurt his throwing arm early in the season and just had to deal with it. Bo shut the offense down good after ISU as well. We've been having an identity crisis since Ganz left, I suppose, and I think it's mainly because of Bo's preference for a certain style and his insistence on moving to that direction.

Watson honestly did his best to accommodate Bo, blending WCO principles with a read option attack. Probably did as best as he could have before Taylor himself got hurt and regressed the rest of the year. These past few years I think we've continued to struggle in figuring out how to build an offense around Taylor. We seem to be giving him more to handle as a passer, but I don't know if it's working.

But then again, all that could be just after seeing us go against one of the best defenses in the country. I don't think many defenses are going to shut our run game down the way Ohio State did.

I don't feel this has had an affect on our recruiting on offense. Except maybe the QB position where it has to be confusing what we are trying to do, but that's more of figuring out how to use Taylor than anything, I guess.

Could someone point out to me the exact date that the screen pass was outlawed.....??

Amen to that. Does the screen play even exist in Beck's fuxkin' vocabulary? It's pathetic honestly. Ameer Abdullah and Rex Burkhead would be kings in the open field on a play like the HB Screen. Not only that, it would be an easy completion to help Martinez transition into the game.

NOPE IT MAKES TOO MUCH f'ing' SENSE.....WE CAN'T POSSIBLY DO IT.

Almost like convincing Pelini to blitz. Hell it works well every time we do it. f#*k it, we better not do it BO it work waaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too f'ing' well.