Final recruits

Here are the guys we are still hoping become Huskers. I have a feeling most will come down to the wire on Wed morning.

Next to each are only my OPINIONS, and what Ive heard from the vine. Feel free to share your own. Stay tuned to Huskerboard for the latest updates.

Rocky Hinds 4 star QB (Mom wants him outta LA, me thinks he wants to stay)

USC 60% NU 40%

Jeremy Coley 4 star DE (Coach said he is very interested in NU, said the longer he waits to decide the better for NU.... he's still on the clock, I like our chances.)

NU 70% Purdue 30%

Rory Johnson 4 star LB (strong rumors that he committed to Miss St)

Miss St. 90% NU 10%

Charles McCoy 2 star DB (no offer yet b/c of minor grade issue, visited on 1/30)

NU 50%(if we offer) USC 50%

Joe Manning 3 star DB (only uncommitted member of Tally 5)

FSU, Auburn, Tenn 80% NU 20 %

Jared Billups 2 star DB (Rockys teammate, no offer yet, visited on 1/30)

NU 80%(if we offer) Cali,CSU 20%

Joe Mortensen 2 star LB (has not visited NU, no offer currently, attended NU summer camp)

NU 90%(if we offer) CSU,Oregon,WSU 10%

:ph34r:

Well after reading this article I may have to flip flop my Hinds ratio.

Sounds like NU might now be the favorite in this race.. :)

Making an educated guess

FOOTBALL: St. Bernard QB Hinds has narrowed his list to Nebraska and USC and is weighing his options.

By Bob Holtzman

DAILY BREEZE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rocky Hinds wasn’t afraid to mix it up with more experienced snowball hurlers.

He did admit it took just one bare-handed attempt to switch his style.

“Oh man, I grabbed it and my whole hand just went numb,” Hinds said. “So I just wore gloves the rest of the time and it was fun.”

Hinds’ snowball fight was big news in Nebras ka, where the St. Bernard High senior spent last weekend on a recruiting visit.

The Omaha World-Herald , the state’s largest newspaper, ran a story about Hinds and his first snowball fight.

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound Hinds visited Lincoln, Neb., on the final weekend of recruiting before Wednesday’s national signing day.

It was the last stop for the star player who missed his entire senior season. The visit helped Hinds narrow his list of college options that at one point included the entire Pacific-10 Conference. It was his fifth and final trip after having visited USC, UCLA, California and Arizona State.

He doesn’t have an easy choice to make in the next 24 hours.

“It’s USC or Nebraska,” Hinds said. “SC has always been my favorite school. Nebraska has a really good situation at quarterback and I like their new coaching staff.

“As for the weather, well that’s a little less important than people make it out to be.”

He delivered a soft verbal commitment to go to USC after an official visit to the school. But there, he’s not a shoo-in to see playing time at quarterback any time soon, not with Matt Leinart being a Heisman Trophy candidate in 2004. And backup John David Booty probably would have been the consensus No. 1 recruit in the nation this year if he didn’t leave high school before his senior season last August to attend USC.

HINDS/ D3 HINDS: Nebraska makes a late run at quarterback FROM PAGE D1 Some Trojans fans don’t expect Hinds to stick at the position. Not when his 10.47 100-meter speed could be best served as a wide receiver in the mold of Mike Williams. Things are about as topsy-turvy as they can get at Nebraska. The program experienced a major overhaul with a new coaching staff. Instead of running the option offense, new coach Bill Callahan plans to run the West Coast offense. Callahan has told Hinds that he is the quarterback to make it happen. “My favorite part of the trip was my meeting with Coach Callahan,” Hinds said. “We were just talking about the situation and he was showing me the playbook. He was just showing me one play and all the sets they could run from it. It was simple, too.” The senior spent the summer leaving college coaches and recruiting followers salivating. Hinds’ combination of size, speed and power left recruiters talking about his upside.

“The combination of his arm and great athletic ability, that doesn’t come along very often,” said Greg Biggins, the recruiting editor of Torrance-based Student Sports . “He’s in the (Texas’ quarterback) Vincent Young mold where he can make plays with his legs and be in and out of the pocket.”

Biggins’ preseason Hot 100 list for Student Sports rated Hinds as the No. 54 prospect in the country. ESPN’s Tom Lemming lists Hinds as the nation’s No. 16 prospect even though Hinds did not play a down at St. Bernard this season.

In a scrimmage at Redondo High, Hinds rolled out on a goal-line play and tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee.

“They blitzed all three of their linebackers and I took off,” Hinds said. “I was rolling left and I heard the pop. Afterward, they just told me to relax, but I thought I was fine because I walked off (the field) on my own power.”

When Hinds found out how bad it was, friends said it shook him.

“When he first went to the doctor’s office, he thought he was done,” St. Bernard teammate Royce Campbell said. “They told him his career was done. So we were at his house and he broke down.

“I just told him, ‘You need to be in that therapy every day.’ And he followed it. They’ve got him running now and he’ll be out there on the field practicing, throwing, doing all that stuff.”

Hinds watched from the sidelines this season as the Vikings relied on running back Marcus Crockett to generate most of their offense. He cheered when St. Bernard stunned host Temple City in the first round of the CIF Division X playoffs. Hinds wondered what kind of difference he could have made if he had played in the quarterfinal loss to visiting Morningside.

Yet Hinds learned something from the injury.

“This has made me work harder than ever before and appreciate being able to play at all,” Hinds said. “I know I have to work extra, extra hard to get back to where I was. I had never been injured before this, so I know when I’m back I’ll play hard every down.”

The injury also helped Nebraska make a last-minute recruiting run. While few expect Hinds to turn down USC, Hinds says he has not made up his mind.

“It’s a great opportunity for early playing time and under good coaching,” Hinds said about Nebraska.

“USC is close to home. They have great players and it is a good opportunity to play there. But it’s the same at Nebraska. They’re a powerhouse and they’ll get top players every year, too.”

Given the log-jam at quarterback at USC, coupled with his mother's prodding, I'd have to agree - looking good for NU at this point.

He has to assume that with a major shift in the offense, he can come into the fall with almost an even playing field on which to compete for a position. Even though the QBs on campus will have the spring to get somwhat acclimated, his raw ability and the limited time to learn the offense in the spring by the others must have him thinking NU.

I likey too! Bob you are a freak!! :lol:

You know this would be solid if we land a few of these guys on the board, but comp;ared to the last few season were not doin THAT great. i know it was a condensed yr and all, but Franks wasnt THAT bad. check it out.

2004 - 2.79 star average / 881 total points / 19 recruits

2003 - 3.05 star average / 1230 total points / 19 recruits

2002 - 3.17 star average / 1233 total points / 18 recruits

of course it would go up if we were to land Coley and Hinds both 4 stars.

rc

Thanks for the update guys. Well we heard in another thread that R Johnson is going to Miss St (apparently grades were a factor, and we never technically offered him a schollie - whatever), & Coley to Purdue, this was a big bummer. Guess he wanted to stay closer to home - Purdue is about 2 hrs from his family.

Next up. The Rock. Supposed to be a PC tomorrow at 2:30 CST. Apparently BC is also having a PC, but its at 2:00 CST. Anyone with links for these webcasts please share.

'shirt