Rivals Subscribers

Why would rivals.com have us number ten and scout.com have us number twenty-three? That does not make sense to me. Do they have different standards for recruits or something? What's the deal?

Yes, different ranking systems

What does each site base their rankings on?

From what i know, Rivals has a larger database then scout does. Rivals not only evaluates recruits based on film, but they also conduct camps (usually 15-20 camps each year) in which they test each player for height, weight, 40 time, shuttle time, vertical leap, bench press, and squat. They also have individualized poistion tests for each player position. For example QB's, in which they ask them to do certain drills like the spot, flush, movement drills. On top of film evaluation and camps during the summer, Rivals keeps tabs on players through perfomances throughout the year by sending scouts out to games to see how those players are still performing.

Scout does film evaluation and SOME camps (not as extensive as Rivals though), but that's where it stops. Scout does a poor job of following up on players through the rest of the season and doesn't monitor performance. Once a guy is a 4 star on scout, he stays a 4 star, even if he doesn't play that season due to a torn ACL. On the other hand, Rivals will demote that guy from a 4 for example to a 3.

I personally prefer the way Rivals does it over Scout.

Yeah Rivals and Scout are different in the prospect interest levels. It's hard to tell which one is more accurate. Like Adrian Clayborn, he is High on Nebraska on Scout, but Medium on Rivals. I do like how Scout offers a little more info on each player profile than Rivals. However, I would take the Rivals ratings over Scout anyday. Their ratings were very different for Nebraska on Scout each of the last two years.