Strictly financially speaking, what does it cost NU to not go to the Rose Bowl?

Husker66

we tend to look at losing emotionally, but when does the university start totalling the costs- current and opportunity costs....lost bowl games, recruiting, retail sales, bowl and TV revenue...

I know the B1G pays well, but its all relative...the cumulative effects have to be much greater than a high end coaches salary.....

had we won B12 and B1G championships and been competitive/won the bowls from those seasons...i am thinking the revenues would be substantially higher than what we have????....

we tend to look at losing emotionally, but when does the university start totalling the costs- current and opportunity costs....lost bowl games, recruiting, retail sales, bowl and TV revenue...

I know the B1G pays well, but its all relative...the cumulative effects have to be much greater than a high end coaches salary.....

had we won B12 and B1G championships and been competitive/won the bowls from those seasons...i am thinking the revenues would be substantially higher than what we have????....

Essentially nothing.

IIRC, the participating team gets an extra share, but that just covers the added expenses. UW actually lost money on one of its 1990's Rose Bowl trips because so many wives and staff members were given free trips out west.

The way it was before 2011:

13 equal shares

Big Ten gets one

Each school gets one

Participating school gets two.