Environmental consumerism

The comments from readers are hilarious. So much hate.

The article obviously raises good points...it's both math and science. My takeaway is that it's pretty freaking hard to know if you're getting the accurate source of research and data on any particular subject.

Being in the plastics industry, I find this stuff really interesting.

Link

Yeah. I've heard the part about the energy required to make a reusable mug vs. a paper cup.

I weave my own grocery bags from locally cut and fully sustainable switchgrass. ;)

(My personal favorites are the shoppers carrying their reusable bags out of whole foods . . . and getting into their Escalades.)

He forgot to mention the energy, water, and chemicals you should be using when you clean your re-usable tote bags - not to mention the opportunity cost of the lost time cleaning the bags that you could have spent doing something productive.

...yet there are some in our society who would prefer to see plastic grocery bags banned.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/12/plastic_bag_ban_bill_will_retu.html

Environmental groups say plastic bags don't biodegrade and many wind up permanently swirling in the world's oceans.

I propose the State of Washington offer free "brain therapy" for the folks who worry about this sort of non-sense.