ESPN plays the race card again....

clyde40

Update: On Sunday NFL countdown the reported that the NFL wants to upgrade the Rooney Rule. I can't stand affirmative action. There's a flyer in my dorm for a "minority only scholarship" isn't that racist? Heaven knows we couldn't ever have a "white only scholarship"

There are "white only"/WASP scholarships now. Anybody can endow a scholarship fund to support whomever they want to. My mother got scholarships that were aimed at Czech/Slovak-heritaged students. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of stupid AA policies in place these days, but scholarships is a completely different beast.

Affirmative action has no place in today's society IMO. Black, White, Female, Male...The best qualified should get the job.

Exactly. The problem, however, is people still make decisions based on these parameters. A shameful fact.

What bothers me most is if you look at the pool from which GM's and head coaches have to choose from, a significant number of coaches are caucasian males, and they tend to be extremely qualified and experienced.

Hiring comes down to qualifications and how you perform in the interviews. You have to be liked. Those in charge of hiring look at several things. If Person A is more qualified than Person B, but Person B is more likeable and interests the person hiring, then it makes sense to hire Person B in some situations.

Although I understand the desire to have diverse coaching hires, it's a huge mistake to hire based on race/sex. And any laws/requirements asking people to do such is just ridiculous. Again, that said, it's unfortunate that people still make hiring decisions based on ludicrous things like race/sex.

I think the Rooney rule does have a fair place in the NFL -- promoting minority rights that otherwise would have been ignored, without being coercive.

That said, I don't get this controversy. What percentage of GMs and HCs in the league are minority to start with? So, in a season where we have what, maybe under 20 moves total here, is it so unusual if there aren't any minorities? Particularly as this appears to be a rare occurrence.