Drone strikes on US soil allowed?!

2700 MRAP's (mine resistant armored personnel carriers)

16 MRAPs . . .

Supposedly used to serve high risk warrants. That said, you could revive one of the old threads about the militarization of our civil departments.

Actually 2700 is what the news reported DHS just purchased. It is possible that 16 are currently in use by Special Response Teams for the use of high risk warrants. I was referring to the news listing the newest acquisition.

2700 MRAP's (mine resistant armored personnel carriers)

16 MRAPs . . .

Supposedly used to serve high risk warrants. That said, you could revive one of the old threads about the militarization of our civil departments.

Actually 2700 is what the news reported DHS just purchased. It is possible that 16 are currently in use by Special Response Teams for the use of high risk warrants. I was referring to the news listing the newest acquisition.

I know that the 2700 number was passed around the blogoshpere . . . but it's 16.

Update: An earlier version of this post included a figure of over 2,700 vehicles, as cited from the original RT link. This figure likely comes from a press release from Navistar Defense, mentioning delivery of 2,717 to the U.S. Marine Corps. A DHS Spokesman confirmed with Business Insider that they have only 16 nationwide.

http://www.businessi...nts-mrap-2013-3

(FWIW, a good way to figure out which fake news sites to ignore is to google search "2700 mraps" and then have a good chuckle about how they cross reference and boot strap the story.)

They are closing the F-16 base here in Des Moines and bringing in drones now...................sucks cause the F-16's are awesome to see and my boys love watching them fly around. I tell them, "that's the sound of freedom."

and what $100k in fuel sounds like!

This country can cut money some place else than defense! They are just doing it for the shock and awe it'll create with the American people. How about the money we just sent to fing Egypt as an example? Or the food aide we're sending to North Korea while we are threatened to be nuked by their leader?

They are closing the F-16 base here in Des Moines and bringing in drones now...................sucks cause the F-16's are awesome to see and my boys love watching them fly around. I tell them, "that's the sound of freedom."

This country can cut money some place else than defense! They are just doing it for the shock and awe it'll create with the American people. How about the money we just sent to fing Egypt as an example? Or the food aide we're sending to North Korea while we are threatened to be nuked by their leader?

Having irons in so many fires, getting burnt along the way shouldn't shock anyone. Being the at forefront of the worlds charitable cases is becoming less and less noble to the people in this country trying to figure out how to make ends meet.

Having irons in so many fires, getting burnt along the way shouldn't shock anyone. Being the at forefront of the worlds charitable cases is becoming less and less noble to the people in this country trying to figure out how to make ends meet.

Completely agree

F-16s are one of the most beautiful fighter jets to ever have existed, in my opinion. Just look at these sexy muthas:

F-16_ANG_SanFran_large.jpg

And I absolutely agree. Defense is one of the things that shouldn't be cut. (Not getting into expensive protracted wars would help, though....defense technology investment is more important). Alas, the era of the manned combat aircraft appears to be fading in general. I still cannot believe what they did with the F-22 program. It makes me mad just thinking about it, lol.

Sure, it's expensive per unit. That's what happens when you order the ATF program for 750 aircraft and then end up ordering under 250 or whatever it was.

The B-52, F-4, F-111, C-17 programs all had problems. The gov't would throw more money at the DOD contractors to keep on going on. All of those programs ended up pretty good. B-52 for sure. F-22 is a KICKASS fighter and the F-35 can be.

I'm sure the drones have cost billions to develop also. Their one BIG advantage: don't lose pilots except to papercuts or potty breaks. :)

The B-52, F-4, F-111, C-17 programs all had problems. The gov't would throw more money at the DOD contractors to keep on going on. All of those programs ended up pretty good. B-52 for sure. F-22 is a KICKASS fighter and the F-35 can be.

I'm sure the drones have cost billions to develop also. Their one BIG advantage: don't lose pilots except to papercuts or potty breaks. :)

The F35 has been an obscene waste of money.

Has it? It is going to replace the entire fleet of F16s, F117s, and various other aircraft, some of which began life in the 1970s. They will be fewer in number than the fleets they are replacing. And modernize the united states manned fighter capacity.

//never mind (sort of), I read up the recent history of F35 program and it sounds like a disaster of mismanagement. Well, its intended purpose and original billing, anyway, I'd say are critical investments.

It's a bit worrying how badly it appears to be going.

Until there is accountability(no, not that one) the defense contractors don't have a problem spending all the money they can get from the DOD. Congress needs to man up and say "Enough". Let's hold ourselves accountable for all this waste and corruption. Yeah, right.

Like there isn't more waste and corruption throughout the government.