Early Retirement: Could Obamacare change the Discussion?

I just found out a week ago that my doctor is retiring. He had some health issues that took him out of action for a bit but the replacement doc who I saw informed me that he most likely would not be returning at all and he specifically named Obamacare kicking in as the reason. He is upper 50's in age. To be fair, I'm sure he is quite well off and was getting near retirement age anyway. With all the changes that have taken place in private practices over the past 10-20 years, I can sympathize with not wanting to learn to deal with provisions of the ACA if you don't have to.

Honestly, the part of Obamacare he's most concerned about is the OBAMA part. :D He's just a smidge conservative.

But last time I talked to him about it he was saying the costs were going to drive him out of practice. We didn't delve too deeply into the conversation - we both know where we stand on the issue, and it gets contentious.

I know how those conversations go . . . :P

I don't know if the average citizen will retire early because of Obamacare but I know for a fact the some doctors will retire early (or earlier then they had planned) because of it since I was personally told by one this very thing. I'm assuming there will be more then him out there with the same thoughts.

Buddy of mine (doctor) is pulling his hair out over Obamacare. He's... displeased.

The other thing that concerns me besides doctors leaving early is talented kids in high school and college being turned off from the medical field and going into some other occupation. When I was in high school it seemed like the very best and brightest would end up as doctors and in my class this actually did happen. I wonder with students today if they will feel it will even be worth it? I would personally prefer our future best and brightest to end up being the ones who diagnose and treat us but I fear a brain drain to other areas because the medical field become less competitive for talent. It may be an easier choice to go into programming and create the next angry birds app then to become a doctor. Time will certainly tell.

The other thing that concerns me besides doctors leaving early is talented kids in high school and college being turned off from the medical field and going into some other occupation. When I was in high school it seemed like the very best and brightest would end up as doctors and in my class this actually did happen. I wonder with students today if they will feel it will even be worth it? I would personally prefer our future best and brightest to end up being the ones who diagnose and treat us but I fear a brain drain to other areas because the medical field become less competitive for talent. It may be an easier choice to go into programming and create the next angry birds app then to become a doctor. Time will certainly tell.

I don't see that being a problem . . . med school is still about the surest thing out there.

Where did I say you should?

You didn't. You said: "I would tell her..." And then you asked: "So.....he needs to figure out how to support her simply because..."

It sounds to me like you have some thoughts as it if she is worthy of the love and support my friend has for his wife. You are free to make the judgement, however, I choose not to make judgements like that. That's all.

Sounds to me like you're putting judgments on BRB's post in much the same fashion you're accusing him of doing.

You are right of course.

All BRB wrote was "I would tell her where to go" and that in no way could suggest any editorializing as to how BRB might make a difference choice than my buddy's decision to love and support his wife.