NFL Openings

c-husker

I dont see the big deal, except that when you deny something.............. <_<

So when you deny something, you are automatically hiding something. Got it.

He also said that he didnt make a throat-slash gesture :blink:

Yea, because those are the same thing.

I dont see the big deal, except that when you deny something.............. <_<

So when you deny something, you are automatically hiding something. Got it.

No, but I remember the denial before TO retiring, and the denial before the FS firing......etc ;)

He also said that he didnt make a throat-slash gesture :blink:

Yea, because those are the same thing.

Not the same thing, but it shows a level of blatant dishonesty on his part. Once you are proven a liar, its tough to regain your honor.

Steven M. Sipple: Upbeat Callahan cools NFL discussion

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 - 12:04:14 am CST

As the NFL coaching carousel spins at a dizzying pace, Bill Callahan traverses the nation in search of players with speed and size and anything else that might help Nebraska hang with Texas and Southern Cal next season. The Husker head coach was recruiting at junior colleges in Kansas on Thursday. He said he hadn’t received overtures from any NFL front-office types regarding head coaching vacancies. And he left a distinct impression that it wouldn’t matter if an NFL team did call.

“I’m flattered if my name comes up, but I’m not going anywhere,” he said.

We might as well get used to Callahan-NFL speculation this time of year, particularly in the next few years if Nebraska keeps winning big games on national television.

Husker fans should feel fortunate they have a coach who can be marketable at the highest level.

Meanwhile, Callahan said he enjoyed this past season immensely. He appreciated the chemistry and unity that developed throughout his program, elements that were lacking in 2004. He liked the fact his team prevailed in the Alamo Bowl last week against a Michigan team that possessed more talent. He said he was glad the Huskers’ final record (8-4) reflected the progress he had seen in the program since the season’s start, even during the tough times.

He said he enjoys learning about Nebraska football history and being part of a storied program.

In the weeks leading to the Alamo Bowl, Callahan seemed more relaxed than he had for any sustained period since taking over at Nebraska in January of 2004.

Funny what a big win or two will do for a coach’s demeanor, not to mention his public-approval rating.

Wasn’t this the fellow so many of us griped about in early November?

Now people call the newspaper wondering and worrying if the coach might bolt for NFL riches.

If Nebraska enjoys another run of success in 2006 — say, a 9-3 or 10-2 record — Callahan will assume a more prominent position on the NFL head coaching radar screen. As it stands, he’s outside of it, though how far is open to debate.

“I knew that if we won here (at Nebraska), there would be that sentiment, that kind of talk,” said Callahan, who guided the 2002 Oakland Raiders to the Super Bowl before being fired because of a 4-12 record in 2003.

The Callahan-to-NFL speculation boils down to this bit of reality: There are typically a lot of NFL head coaching openings without a lot of candidates who have extensive head coaching experience in the league.

“There’s huge, huge turnover in the NFL, and owners are more comfortable with coaches who have coached in that league,” Callahan said.

Callahan coached in the biggest game of all. Then he crashed and burned the following season. The ultra-intense competitor in him might someday want to prove himself again in the big show. For now, it amounts to speculation.

Eight NFL head coaching openings currently exist. Every year, there’s about a half-dozen vacancies this time of year.

Callahan, by the way, has four years remaining on a six-year contract worth $1.5 million annually. He wouldn’t be penalized financially if he decided to opt for a better deal elsewhere (standard contractual fare nowadays).

Say an NFL team offered Callahan $3 million per year. Could you blame him for at least listening?

For now, if there are rumors of Callahan jumping back into the NFL fray anytime soon, “I would dispel them immediately,” he said.

v v v

Still looking for someone to blame for Nebraska’s 62-36 loss at Colorado in 2001?

How about Shawn Watson, the former CU offensive coordinator who appears set to join the Huskers’ staff as a full-time assistant coach.

Watson, 46, interviewed with Callahan on Thursday morning in Lincoln before Callahan left town to recruit. It appears to be Watson’s job if he wants it.

A native of Carbondale, Ill., Watson worked with Callahan at Illinois from 1983-86.

v v v

Callahan said Southern Cal and Texas have capitalized on having a wealth of talent in close proximity to their campuses. So how does Nebraska combat that?

“We will still go after those kids. They can only take so many,” Callahan said. “You never know what will turn a player.”

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.