How good is Reggie Bush?

Weasel

I personally suspect that Bush isn't going to look nearly as good as he has all year versus Texas. I have a couple observations I would like to bring up and see what everyones thoughts are:

1) Why Ahman Green didn't get more push for the Heisman in 97.

2) LP's 94 season one of the greatest by a soph.....but didn't it look as good or better than Bush in 95???

3) Comparing Bush, LP, and Green (or can they be compared?).

BEST SEASONS RUSHING:

Ahman Green 97:

att: 278

Yards: 1925

avg: 6.8

tds: 22

LP 94:

att: 286

Yards: 1722

avg: 6.0

tds: 16

Bush 05:

att: 187

Yards: 1658

avg: 8.9

tds: 15

BEST YEAR RECEIVING STATS:

Bush: 383

LP: 175

AG: 105

Total Yards (receiving / rushing):

Bush: 2041

AG: 2030

LP: 1897

I think what this proves imo is that Bush was used in a more "versatile" way than either LP and or AG. LP did get a lot of pub for his 94 season and arguably had the Heisman won with his first couple of games in 95 (or clearly was every bit as good as Bush as a Jr and clearly the best player in the nation in 95). However I don't think his 94 season gets him to the level of AG and Bush's two best seasons. In regards to potential....I'd take LP any day minus the head issues. I know many huskers players that would verify this as well.

However I still can't believe that if you go to Heisman.com and AG's 97 season didn't even get him nominated.....because imo he was every bit as deserving as Bush in regards to rushing / receiving statistics show and not to mention had every bit as good of year as Ricky Williams did and he finished 5th in the voting that year:

Here the 97 nominees (and how they finished):

Woodson (won Heisman)

Manning

Leaf

Moss

Williams

Enis

Dwight

McNown

Couch

Zereoue

I have NO DOUBT that AG should've at least made the top 5 here considering:

Ricky Williams: 1893 yards with 25 tds

Ahman Green: 1925 yards with 22 tds

Only thing I can see is that with the year Frost had it took to much statistically away from Green.......with Frost running for over 1K....Green easily could've had 2K plus and close to 30 tds.

Thoughts?

The difference.....in regards to BUSH is that he returns punts, is used in a more open offense in which he lines up as a receiver and simply I fully admit, more versatile player (at the minimum used that way) and is clearly the player this year in college football.

But how does he rank with two of our most recent RB's.....that many consider some of our best ever.?

Weasel

the only way regiie bush will be a flop in the nfl is in he gets hurt consistantly. He has moves and shifts in momentum, ive never seen. Let me tell you, this guy is for real.....Whoever, gets the 1st pick in the draft, better take him, because if they don't, they will be sorry....he can run back kickoffs, punts, you can line up as a receiver, and he can run the ball.....what more can you ask for!!!!

"We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time."

- Vince Lombardi

www.benchclearingbrawl.com

First and foremost BUSH isn't going to be doing all the above in the NFL.

They don't risk hurting quote "star" players for special teams and when they do.......say with me "Jason Sehorn".

So Bush's abilities however may come into play if he is on special teams.....cause I suspect he won't be the "star" everyone is expecting especially as a sole running back on any team.

For instance, take the Texas game. He didn't consistently get the outside like he had all year and the NFL is going to be even tougher for his running style. Also sorry, but White is the better back and especially if we are talking NFL (again, tell me who is on the field in cruch time and furthermore got more quality carries...white or bush).

Has nothing to do with whether I like or dislike Bush..........imo I simply don't see him even remotely in the same league as Emmitt or Barry in college, much less the NFL. They not only were smallish running backs, but one was FREAK of nature with moves that again sorry...BUSH don't have in regards to Barry, and Smith....ran like he was 240 and we all know BUSH don't.

Also take into consideration USC.....year in and year out doesn't play exactly tough D's....simply a fact about the pac-10. Bush was a GREAT "TALENT" but was more of a tweener.....rb/wr/athlete type...in the NFL that can spell doom for these types. Ala.....Eric Crouch....moved to WR/ tried safety....etc. etc.

In other words.....I don't see Bush as a every down RB and I may be proven wrong. I simply would put my money if I was an NFL owner in a kid like WHITE versus the flashy style of Bush. Of course put myself in that position and I am going with YOUNG bar none.

My 2 cents,

Weasel

point well taken, weasel....i guess it remains to be seen.....you make some good points. Texas did a great job with containing bush....but i wouldnt want to under-estimate him....look at warrick dunn, clearly he isnt a big back and by most standards he has had a pretty sucessful career so far, and i think bush has more potential---he's got to get bigger and stronger, and now the question should be--can Vince Young be successful ? He put on a clinic against a poor defense----i dont know, only time will tell---but if im on the clock, maybe i trade my no 1, 2 or 3 pick and pick up some quality players---what do you think????

:wtf

point well taken, weasel....i guess it remains to be seen.....you make some good points. Texas did a great job with containing bush....but i wouldnt want to under-estimate him....look at warrick dunn, clearly he isnt a big back and by most standards he has had a pretty sucessful career so far, and i think bush has more potential---he's got to get bigger and stronger, and now the question should be--can Vince Young be successful ? He put on a clinic against a poor defense----i dont know, only time will tell---but if im on the clock, maybe i trade my no 1, 2 or 3 pick and pick up some quality players---what do you think????

:wtf

Great points as well........I do worry about Young's throwing motion as it does seem to be a lot like Cunningham's use to be when he played for Philadelphia. Long and slow......!

Also, USC's defense by any standard was sub-par......100% agree.

As for Warrick Dunn.....point well taken. Also, for the record as what I am basing my "opinion" on I wouldn't of risked taking Dunn.....which shows there are anomalies / mistakes. I fully admit i would've made that mistake based on what I have observed of him in college (especially against UNL ;) ).

Also just so you know my last post is in NO WAY trying to be confrontational etc..I was simply seeing it differently as are you. With that said it is great to be able to discuss opinions on Bush with someone that will give and take on views....:)

With that in mind I couldn't agree more with your statement in not under-estimating Bush's abilities.

Agreed......time will tell for sure. But "IF" I had the #1 pick I would DO MY BEST to take advantage of the buzz....and trade the pick because I do believe Bush will go #1. So it may be possible if done correctly to load up on talent and really help a poor team get that much better than just Bush could do. That is my take, but it will be fun to watch the Draft this year.....for sure!

Take care,

Weasel

One thing that Bush adds to the game is a mismatch feature for any offense that he is playing on. He can catch the ball out of the back field and he is simply to fast for linebackers to cover. Also, he has the ability to make people miss. I know that he did not play against the toughest of defenses this year, but he can juke and cut like no one else in the country. If I were the Texans, I would definetly draft Bush because he adds a true game breaker to their offense that Carr really needs.

Comparing Bush to Dunn is pretty accurate if you ask me. He is not a back that is going to change a NFL game. He won't be able to run between the tackles and his speed will not be as big a factor since the LB's in the NFL run like the DB's in College.

Bush will have a nice NFL career but not the monster one every so called expert is saying. He will not be mentioned in the same breath as Sanders, Smith, Brown, Payton, Sayers, Dickerson, Dorsett, or even Falk for that matter. LenDale White will be the better NFL back if you ask me.

The Texans should draft Young and trade Carr for some linemen.