The Barry-cades were an order from the White House

And let’s be clear – knapplc didn’t “call you out” as a person needing to behave better. Even a causal reading of the exchange makes that clear. Here it is:

I interpreted his call for "moderation" and describing how I was speaking - reminiscent of OBL - as directed toward my behavior (something mods are tasked to control), not a particular belief set. Since nobody else read it that way, I'll assume my interpretation was wrong, and I apologize for dragging his moderator status into it.

Thank you. Very much appreciated. And I'm glad you've continued to post.

I didn't see this posted, but I figured it pretty much sums up why the monuments are closed, as for points already illustrated by Bucky, but by Jon Jarvis, the Director for the National Parks Service:

And finally to the national parks. In total, 401 park service sites have been closed due to the government shutdown, ranging from Yellowstone and Yosemite to Civil War battlefields and the Statue of Liberty. And the many memorials along the National Mall here in Washington are barricaded: Lincoln, Jefferson, World War II. The director of the National Park Service, Jon Jarvis, told me even sites like those that may not seem to require park service supervision do.

JON JARVIS: There are employees that pick up the trash. There are employees that clean the restrooms. There are employees that provide protection against vandalism. Some of these sites are potential targets for vandalism or terrorism. And so I've had to furlough most of those employees. I furloughed, as a result of no appropriation, 21,000 employees of the National Park Service. And so we are down to just a - essentially a skeleton crew of enforcement officers that provide just the very basics of security. But I can't leave them open and accept that kind of impact. That's - that violates my responsibilities to the American people as the steward of these places.

BLOCK: Wouldn't there be times when you would go, say, to a memorial on the National Mall and there wouldn't be staff in the middle of the night? I mean, it would be open and largely unprotected.

JARVIS: That is completely incorrect.

BLOCK: Really?

JARVIS: Yeah. I guarantee you, you may not notice them, but they are there.

And let's be honest folks--based on prior actions...if any of these monuments were vandalized or defaced while being left open and unattended during the shutdown, we'd be hearing about Government incompetence from our Tea Party 'friends'. :-|

Source: http://www.npr.org/t...oryId=228551352

But . . . BARRY-CADES!!!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/10/03/randy_neugebauer_park_ranger_video_flag_wearing_gop_congressman_berates.html?wpisrc=newsletter_jcr:content

here are plenty of people you could blame for the fact that the World War II memorial on the Washington Mall is currently closed to the public (although not to war veterans). If you ask most Americans, those responsible for the shutdown that's causing the closure are House Republicans who refuse to pass a clean continuing resolution to keep the government running. If you ask GOP Rep. Randy Neugebauer, however, the answer is apparently the park rangers who have the unenviable task of keeping the public away from the monument thanks to Congress's failure to keep the government running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5K7wVb6y_U