The Barry-cades were an order from the White House

The point of this thread isn't that monuments > WIC (or other programs). The point is that the monuments, parks etc are being closed even though it costs more to close them than to simply allow them to remain open and unstaffed (given that they are ordinarily unstaffed). In other words, not only is the gov't incompetent at getting things done, the gov't is incompetent at getting things not done.

• Fire 4

I'd say it is trivially easy for us, here, to have parallel discussions.

Is all the national hoopla and focus on this an utterly misdirected waste of attention? Sure. Right there with you, brother. I think it should go away, and saying it is not worthy of discussion is not going to help that one bit. And I do think the House Republicans (I think we feel almost exactly the same on the shutdown issue in general, knapp) are attempting to seize at anything they can to distract public opinion that should be directed upon them. That certainly merits the criticism you're levying, but that's at them, not at the people wondering about this.

If the administration is bending over backwards and spending more to make a point, then we can acknowledge that as a bit of gamesmanship (certainly no more so than the Republican congressmen removing the barricades and pretending their shutdown isn't the reason for this to begin with). Not the thing that'll paint them in the best light, but it is what it is.

If they in fact aren't, and the barricades were the lowest cost, safest, and most sensible option, then people are really crowing over nothing and they ought to understand that.

The point of this thread isn't that monuments > WIC (or other programs). The point is that the monuments, parks etc are being closed even though it costs more to close them than to simply allow them to remain open and unstaffed (given that they are ordinary unstaffed). In other words, not only is the gov't incompetent at getting things done, the gov't is incompetent at getting things not done.

Perhaps leaving them open and unstaffed would leave them a threat to vandalism or worse, terrorism. We all know what happened in Benghazi, maybe Obama learned his lesson about security.

Shouldn't the story be more about how cool it was to see a bunch of 90 year old war heroes giving the middle finger to the government and celebrating their day they had planned for some time?

I don't really care who, when, or why those barricades were there. I am just glad there was a bunch of people that didn't care either and continued their mission.

• Fire 2

C'mon man. By all means let's talk about those things but if you don't have the answers here, then you don't have the answers. I don't either. It's one of many aspects of this wacky situation that would be nice to have a better understanding of. :shrug:?

If your point is "people in the government shutdown thread aren't talking about the important things" enough then yeah, I totally agree! If you'd like a thread focusing about the actual damage this shutdown is causing - something else it'd be good to understand - please do! (you did a great job covering it in that one status update, but its own thread wouldn't hurt). But what's that got to do with the simple questions asked here?

Shouldn't the story be more about how cool it was to see a bunch of 90 year old war heroes giving the middle finger to the government and celebrating their day they had planned for some time?

I don't really care who, when, or why those barricades were there. I am just glad there was a bunch of people that didn't care either and continued their mission.

Boom. Yes. I cheered (inside) when I read they had just gone through the barricades. It's not some government schlepp's monument, it's theirs. If they want to visit that thing at 3am Christmas night, let them.

C'mon man. By all means let's talk about those things but if you don't have the answers here, then you don't have the answers. I don't either. It's one of many aspects of this wacky situation that would be nice to have a better understanding of. :shrug:?

If your point is "people in the government shutdown thread aren't talking about the important things" enough then yeah, I totally agree! If you'd like a thread focusing about the actual damage this shutdown is causing - something else it'd be good to understand - please do! (you did a great job covering it in that one status update, but its own thread wouldn't hurt). But what's that got to do with the simple questions asked here?

Fine. Talk about it. Knock yourself out.

Here we go again:

The National Park Service has ordered the closure of a Virginia park that sits on federal land, even though the government provides no resources for its maintenance or operation....

According to Anna Eberly, managing director of the farm, NPS sent law enforcement agents to the park on Tuesday evening to remove staff and volunteers from the property. “You do have to wonder about the wisdom of an organization that would use staff they don’t have the money to pay to evict visitors from a park site that operates without costing them any money,” she said. The park withstood prior government shutdowns, noting in a news release that the farm will be closed to the public for the first time in 40 years.

I listed a whole bunch of programs that would be cut or would suffer because of the shut down. I was mocked for my choice of source. Not that they had anything to say about it's actual content... they ignored that.

Yes, right now the republicans are more responsible for this ridiculous predicament. Yes, if WIC assistance is being denied those that need help, it is vastly more important than parks or monuments being closed. But it is fair game and worthy of discussion to point out the childishness and waste of resources to barricade outdoor monuments that are otherwise openly accessible. The main claim against the repubs, and rightly so, is that they are throwing a tantrum over not getting their way with Obamacare. Anybody who wants to complain about that without looking partisan and one sided needs to also acknowledge the childish tantrum being displayed by placement of these barricades. The ultimate stakes may not be the same but the behavior is. Our governments problems are not one sided as much as that idea serves some posters purposes. The discussion is unnecessarily polarized. There is more than enough bullsh#t being slung from both sides to warrant pointing out any and all of it.

• Fire 3

Show a modicum of concern for the WIC program and we'll talk.

I hope this shutdown is resolved before innocent people suffer undue hardship.

Do you consider people being forced to miss work and not get paid an undue hardship? I do, so too late for that.

Show a modicum of concern for the WIC program and we'll talk.

I hope this shutdown is resolved before innocent people suffer undue hardship.

Do you consider people being forced to miss work and not get paid an undue hardship? I do, so too late for that.

I can't wave a wand and end the shutdown. If people are suffering because of Congress' dysfunction, that is unfortunate. I'm not sure what else you want from me.