The Barry-cades were an order from the White House

And still not one thread about cuts to the WIC program.

WWII vets at a park >>>>>> Women & children getting food

Nice priorities.

Can we please drop this absurd comparison? We're annoyed about the government taking active measures to make sure people can't enjoy something, even when taking said action costs more than just leaving the memorials open to the public. If Obama sent federal agents to seize everyone's already issued WIC food, I'd be more than happy to rip him over that as well.

And still not one thread about cuts to the WIC program.

WWII vets at a park >>>>>> Women & children getting food

Nice priorities.

Can we please drop this absurd comparison? We're annoyed about the government taking active measures to make sure people can't enjoy something, even when taking said action costs more than just leaving the memorials open to the public. If Obama sent federal agents to seize everyone's already issued WIC food, I'd be more than happy to rip him over that as well.

You're being distracted by something shiny. Stop being distracted by something shiny and pay attention to the things that actually matter here.

• Fire 3

I would like a satisfactory explanation for this.

I get that all parks and monuments are shut down, across the board.

However, this does appear to be a case of active measures taken when it was unnecessary. So I'm interested in a costs discussion here. The costs of exempting these particular memorials from shutdown versus the cost of enforcing it. I wouldn't discount the possibility that this is theater from both sides as they posture to avoid blame. I've searched around for articles laying out a specific defense for the OMB position, but I haven't found one. Probably just the noise, but in any case I'm curious in seeing what carl or someone can say.

On the other hand, nothing actually stopped the veterans from going in and it appears to be even protected under the law as a first amendment demonstration.

You're being distracted by something shiny. Stop being distracted by something shiny and pay attention to the things that actually matter here.

I'm on the record as saying I think this shutdown business is the wrong fight at the wrong time for a lot of different reasons, and that it should be ended as soon as possible.

That said, it's very difficult to agree with you people when you won't admit Obama's being a turd when Obama's clearly being a turd (about shutting down the memorials) and shout "REPUBLICANS HATE POOR PEOPLE, WOMEN, BABIES, AND ALSO PUPPIES" from the rooftop every time we do something you don't agree with.

I'm on the record as saying I think this shutdown business is the wrong fight at the wrong time for a lot of different reasons, and that it should be ended as soon as possible.

That said, it's very difficult to agree with you people when you won't admit Obama's being a turd when Obama's clearly being a turd (about shutting down the memorials) and shout "REPUBLICANS HATE POOR PEOPLE, WOMEN, BABIES, AND ALSO PUPPIES" from the rooftop every time we do something you don't agree with.

Show a modicum of concern for the WIC program and we'll talk.

I would like a satisfactory explanation for this, however.

I get that all parks and monuments are shut down, across the board.

However, this does appear to be a case of active measures taken when it was unnecessary. So I'm interested in a costs discussion here. The costs of exempting these particular memorials from shutdown versus the cost of enforcing it. I wouldn't discount the possibility that this is theater from both sides as they posture to avoid blame.

Why does it matter? WHO CARES?

Let's say Obama himself went down to the mall and put up the barricades, all the while laughing maniacally and shouting, "This will teach them to mess with me!!!"

Even if he personally gave the order, IT'S A FREAKING PARK. People are going to lose their paychecks over this. Kids will go hungry over this. Millions, if not billions of dollars could be wasted on this wholly unnecessary shutdown.

And people wonder why we have elected officials in this country willing to burn the nation down around their ears rather than work to make this a better country. It's precisely because people are busy demanding answers to utterly stupid things like this instead of holding these people accountable for things which actually matter.

Go on, then. Demand your answers about the parks. Good luck with that.

I'm not saying it's an important issue. But it costs nothing to discuss, I haven't seen the reasoning for it, and I'd like to know what it is, that's all.

I suspect there's a lot of misunderstanding about this going on, and one only needs to look at the dozens of regurgitated tweets in the OP's link to confirm it. So I'm hoping for a let's set the record straight, and move on.

Maybe if a bunch of new mothers with infants kicked in some grocery store doors and started raiding the shelves of formula and whatever else they get with WIC, there would have been more headlines.

We would also need a congressman helping them to make it legit.

The Tea Party wouldn't like that. Maybe if it was a bunch of fetuses kicking in the doors...