"Minnesota's biggest win in the Jerry Kill era"

knapplc

Chalk up another "biggest win" for a coach at Nebraska's expense. Iowa State pulled it off in 2009 for Paul Rhoads, and now we're the butt of another program-changing win for yet another coach.

I'm beyond sick and tired of obliging these weak teams who want a program-defining win. We should be far too good for this nonsense.

The worst thing is, I saw it coming:

The Golden Gophers are coming off an inspired win at Northwestern, and appear to be playing for their coach, Jerry Kill, who has been battling the effects of epilepsy. Coach Kill will once again not be running the show, but will watch the game from the press box. Kill's halftime speech last week in Evanston is thought to have been a contributing factor for the Gophers' hard-fought win.

Some are expecting an easy Husker win today, but teams rallying around a fallen comrade - or coach - are dangerous. There are no gimmes under these circumstances.

This is exactly what I was afraid of. Minnesota came out and played inspired football and we played like we didn't want to be there, like we just wanted to show up, collect our win and go home.

This lack of effort has been the hallmark of the Bo Pelini era.

The thought I had earlier today was "Is beating Nebraska really a program defining win for anyone at this point?"

Again, I'll keep saying this until everyone believes me - Martinez is not causing this defense's problems. He may not be helping, but he's - maybe - 3% of the problem.

If this staff stays intact and Tommy Armstrong is leading this team next year, this defense will still have the same struggles (barring a change in coaching philosophy). Taylor will be gone and then what's the excuse? It's Armstrong's fault?

It's the defensive players, the coaching, the entire philosophy of reacting instead of attacking.

It simply is not Taylor Martinez' fault that we can't stop anyone on defense.

Yeah, this defense is at about freakout level concerning right now. After three very solid weeks they got cut up pretty bad.

That said, you won't win many games when your QB pops off one scoring drive and averages 3.0 passing yards per the rest of his 28 attempts. Let's sum it up as an everything offense problem from the playcalling to the gameplan down, if you like, but our offense, that vaunted offense of ours that by rights should be tearing a swath through this schedule, was not working today.

• Fire 1