How was your visit to Minneapolis?

Hello Husker Fans,

First off, for those of you who made the trip to Minneapolis this weekend, thank you! Last year, we went to the Gopher/Husker game in Lincoln and we were absolutely amazed at hospitality we received! After years of trips to Madison and Iowa "City", we did not realize opposing fans could be so civilized and welcoming! I've always felt Gopher fans were also relatively civilized (again compared with Badger and Hawkeye fans), but I'm curious how your experience was in Minneapolis? Most of us would love to be more like Nebraska fans, but your fan base definitely has far more class than any other fans in college footbal (that I've ever seen!).

Also, what was your impression of the stadium, campus, and city? And please don't say "it was cold" (we already know that!).

Thanks!

Being that I live in MPLS, the Gophers have become my second team and I have been to many football games the past 6 years. I have to say that in all of the games I have attended at TCF, this one was the worst. Worst is a relative term though. All experiences have been positive, even when I've attended as a Husker fan.

It seems as though the section I was in for this game had a higher percentage (again relatively speaking) of fans that had a terrible hatred for the Huskers. I don't know why or what it was but man there was some hate being spewed. It's not like they really have much to hate the Huskers over...although there is a large contingency that remembers the blowout in '83 like it was yesterday. I have never experienced that from Gopher football fans, ever (Iowa and Wisconsin notwithstanding). It was weird. I attribute some to the alcohol, it was obvious by the number of bottles and the river of beer flowing from their seats past our feet.

I write them off though because I often heard things like "I didn't know the Gophers were good" and things like that, which I believe a true Gopher fan wouldn't say. I think a true Gopher fan would say they know the team is good but just way too inconsistent in such a tough schedule. Anyone paying attention will see they have steadily improved in many areas the past 3 seasons and Kill has them going in the right direction and that their are few conference foes they can't beat/dont have a chance against.

Outside of that the fans were the typical good fans I am used too. I was happy to hear the stadium erupt on game turning plays and have such overwhelming support for their team. The Husker cheers were drowned out by Gopher cheers for once. Iowa games and Wiscy games have a different tune because of the existing rivalries but to hear the support in a game like this was much needed for this Gopher system. All things considered, they deserved to have that "storming the field moment".

Of course it sucks that the Huskers lost but I am happy for the Gophers too. There was a guy in front of me that was saying that he believed this was a "Signature win" for the Gophers. I wouldn't go that far because I think the Gophers are better than perceived and I don't think the Huskers are as good as perceived. I will parrot the sentiment though that it was obvious that a lot of Gopher fans dont know how to handle winning in this capacity, which is sad.

I love going to games at TCF for many reasons. There is not a bad seat in the house (that I have found yet). Tickets are pretty abundant and relatively cheap depending on the game. Lots of great food options. Great, mostly knowledgable fan base itching a return to success. Easy to talk to, Minnesota Nice. Hell the Monday Night Football game in the snow a couple years ago was fun even though the commute from work was horrendous in the snow (2 hours to go 20 miles) and the Vikes got blown out. Plus, The views are great and make for some awesome photos.