My Dream Schedule

The question about the Huskers upcoming schedule made me interested in others view on scheduling, so I thought I'd put up a different thread on that question.

Personally, I look at alot of 7-4 and 8-3 teams in the Big 12 and many years, feel that even those teams don't deserve a bowl trip. After all, most of these teams, including my Huskers, have 3-5 "puff" games against names like "Northeast Southcentral Middle Illionois State" ... you get the punn in the name I hope. It would appear that many schools go into a conference schedule already 4-0 or 5-0, and then they go through a conference schedule going 3-5, 4-4, etc, and that's how they got to a bowl. I really question the legitamacy of it all.

I remember K-State rebuilding their program by basically playing "nobody's" and then built confidence and a name through that. It is done, can be done and it works obviously.

I realize that the Big 12 is a tough conference and the reasoning used in scheduling "puffs". I also realize that many teams with "names" don't want to play us. I also realize the desire and money to get home and home games verses one here and one there. Nebraska has done great at getting more home games than away, that is great for many things, I agree. I love that.

But here's my thoughts ... I love having USC on the schedule these next two years, doesn't scare me at all. But I love most and would want most is to have the Huskers play a Big 10 team, a Pac 10, an ACC or an SEC team every year with a "puff" game first. I'd love to see them choose 3-4 conferences and then rotate through all those teams with home and away games. Set it up so you play more of a powerhouse one year and then a lessor recognized program another year. I'd personally love that. I love that about Notre Dame, although I hate the team, but I love their schedule. I know that being independant helps them to do that, of course.

I love the idea above because I want to see the Huskers play good programs. It seems that I wait until the end of the season to see the better games and then, hope we get a bowl and then win against a good program. I think it would help our recruiting a lot. I think that is Callahan's perspective in scheduling USC, he knows it will be a tough game, but he also wants to expose the program to that area ... and he will.

Well, I've gotten my thought out there ... I'm not looking for a debate here, just wanted to get the though out and hear what other Husker fans are thinking on the issue.

Sheepdog Mark

I understand what you are saying, perhaps you misunderstood me a bit. I know we do "one" game, I'm talking about doing one powderpuff game and three real games that come from three big conferences. In essense, you end up with three much better games instead of only one. Then, you get a much better comparison in how well your is doing verses other conferences. For instance, if you play Iowa in the Big 10 for 2007, you didn't play Penn State but you can draw some comparisons on how well the Huskers would have done had they played Penn State based off what they did against Iowa.

It is very hard to make any comparison when you play a team like Maine. Personally, I don't even see why a Husker fan would want to pay the ticket price to see that game. The networks as well don't have any interest.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond, but thought I'd make sure others understood more fully what I was talking about.

Sheepdog Mark

I understand what you are saying, perhaps you misunderstood me a bit. I know we do "one" game, I'm talking about doing one powderpuff game and three real games that come from three big conferences. In essense, you end up with three much better games instead of only one. Then, you get a much better comparison in how well your is doing verses other conferences. For instance, if you play Iowa in the Big 10 for 2007, you didn't play Penn State but you can draw some comparisons on how well the Huskers would have done had they played Penn State based off what they did against Iowa.

It is very hard to make any comparison when you play a team like Maine. Personally, I don't even see why a Husker fan would want to pay the ticket price to see that game. The networks as well don't have any interest.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond, but thought I'd make sure others understood more fully what I was talking about.

Sheepdog Mark

well, Maine is cupcake, but Wake Forest is from a BCS conference and was picked by many to be a spoiler this season and pushed good teams to the max last season. Pitt is also from a BCS conference and was a preseason top 20 team. Pitt probably would have been a better team had Walt Harris not left. I guess the "challenge" aspect is all a matter of perspective. I can't think of one college football team that plays a nonconference schedule of which you speak.

and one of the reasons that DOES NOT happen is the bowl match ups.....that is where the out of Conference dream-type match ups are supposed to take place, so if you stay in your conference mostly, by design, and your conference is seen as weak, except for the few tough non conference opponents you can line up, years ahead of time mostly, then the pereception is what it is.....depedning on your conference.......phew!!......so scheduling a few NC games against big names, when it can be done, is important for building a reputation and program!!

hunter

I agree with what you said. Actually, I didn't dislike the schedule this year. Ya, Maine was a powderpuff, but like I said, I don't mind the first game being that kind of game. And yes, we did play Wake Forest and Pittsburg this year.

In the past, we have not gotten games consistently like this. Again, I'd like to see us play more teams from these bigger conferences.

Sheepdog Mark

Are you willing to play three non conference road games, all of which are against tough opponets? That is a very likely scenario with the amount of advance planning that goes into scheduling. Its also too grueling on the athletes, who will get beat up before they get into the more important part of the schedule. I like playing one big name, one decent mid major at home, and than a couple of powder puffs.

Are you willing to play three non conference road games, all of which are against tough opponets? That is a very likely scenario with the amount of advance planning that goes into scheduling. Its also too grueling on the athletes, who will get beat up before they get into the more important part of the schedule. I like playing one big name, one decent mid major at home, and than a couple of powder puffs.

StuckinChicago,

No, I wasn't saying, "Are you willing to play three non conference road games, all of which are against tough opponets?" Obviously, as I said in the post, you would alternate all those games, so if you had 4 non-conference games, you would have two at home and two away. If you did more powderpuff games you would probably even get two at home for one away.

Sheepdog Mark

I'd love to start to play the local teams within a few hundard miles from us, such as Minnesota, Colorado St., Illinois, and Iowa. And if they are going to put 1-AA teams on, why not play teams we hear about or at least know, such as Northern Iowa. A Utah, Lousiville, Boise St. or Bowling Green (the top not so power conferances) teams would also be nice.

Nebraska set to play both USC and Texas in 2006

Nebraska football coach Bill Callahan figured there was no need to instruct his players to tune in to tonight's national championship game between top-ranked Southern California and No. 2 Texas.

Considering that both the Trojans and Longhorns serve as highlights on Nebraska's 2006 schedule, Callahan said he has a pretty good idea the Cornhuskers will be glued to their TV sets for the 7 p.m. (ABC) Rose Bowl showdown.

"They'll be watching," Callahan said of the Huskers. "They're astute players. These guys love football and they'll be watching that game closely.

"I don't think I need to say anything."

After finishing an 8-4 season with a 32-28 win over Michigan in the Alamo Bowl on Dec. 28, several Nebraska players expressed anticipation in checking out the BCS title game.

"Oh yeah, you've got to watch it with a little extra interest," NU cornerback Cortney Grixby said. "We see both of those teams next year on the schedule and we wouldn't have it any other way. Those are the two top dogs right now and we've got them both on the schedule next year and we want to go take them down."

Beating USC on Sept. 16 in Los Angeles looms as a tall order. However, Nebraska's chances would likely be improved if junior running back and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush joins quarterback and 2004 Heisman winner Matt Leinart in this spring's NFL draft.

Pro football could also make playing Texas on Oct. 21 in Lincoln at bit more manageable for Nebraska. Longhorns' junior quarterback Vince Young has said he plans to return for his senior season, but will have a couple of days after the national title game to explore his NFL options.

Still, based on their recent success -- both on the field and in recruiting -- USC and Texas both figure to be major challenges for Nebraska next fall.

"It's kind of crazy to think about: we play both teams from the national championship in one year," NU defensive end Jay Moore said.

"It's exciting. I've already got people asking me if they can get tickets to the USC game next year."

Nebraska backup safety Andrew Shanle said the idea of playing both USC and Texas next season almost borders on surreal.

"I just never thought we'd be playing USC and now that we have the chance, it's going to be weird to picture ourselves out there playing against a team like that," said Shanle, a St. Edward graduate. "But it will be a great time and definitely fun for everyone that makes the trip out there."

For now, the Huskers are enjoying their bowl victory and like the rest of the college football fans in American, looking forward to tonight's Rose Bowl matchup.

"Everybody has got to watch that game," Nebraska reserve receiver Leon Jackson said. "That's the biggest game of the year."