Armstrong and the long ball

We dont stretch the field down the middle nearly enough, if any at all. i think that's what True is alluding to. Our pass game is rather predictable. Opposing defenses can get away with cover 2 shell more times than not, because or passing game seems to be based on the premise of being in a 2 minute drill with no timeouts left. And then when we do try to stretch it down the middle, we fail to execute more times than not. That threat doesnt seem to be there.

We tried to hit Carter down the seam several times but usually failed. I think the Gator Bowl was the first time we actually connected with him. If we can hit that pass on a regular basis, it will open up a lot of things.

That's what I meant when I said when we do try, we fail more times than not. And the problem is, it seems that when we fail to execute something once, we tend to just scrap it for the day. And that's ridiculous. Showing the look alone is sometimes enough. Go after it again.

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just continuing the line of thought.

This little misunderstanging thing we got goin on lately? Yeah, it needs to stop.

Again, not sure what games you guys are watching, but every game I've seen we've completed a 10 - 12 yard curl route for a first down on third and long. And occasionally on second down, too.

<snip>

It would be nice to get our tight ends more involved, but I'm not sure if that's a playcalling issue, or if a quarterback just gets used to seeing Bell and Enunwa more open more often.

I don't think Mr. A or myself would disagree with you. We were talking specifically about the tight end down the middle. To me, that's basically running a fly pattern down the seam (especially against a cover 2 as Mr. A said). We tried that route several times but only it it during the bowl and maybe one other time. That route puts a different type of stress on the defense than a curl route does.

I also agree with your other point and have said the same myself - when you run the ball 60% of the time and have two all-conference caliber receivers on the outside, that doesn't leave a lot of touches for others (Carter, Turner, etc.) who could do some things but just don't have a lot of chances.

After watching endless bowl games for several days.....it was apparent all the better passers, had very strong arms. The most accurate passers could zip the ball......even shorter passes, and get the ball to receiver when in traffic.

Right now Armstrong throws a little soft. Not sure if if he's just hesitant to throw hard, or his arm needs more strength. Thus his less than 50% passing.

Passing is the biggest thing he needes to work on in the off season, and the spring........he's only a freshman..

It's one thing to throw it with all you got (a bomb), and if you watch the replay of the 99 ydr, (you can see Armstrong gave it all he's got)....Q had to slow up to receive the pass, but luckly was wide open anyway

For example TM actually threw harder. Watched some replays today, and can see the difference.

It will be interesting with Stanton, and Darlington this spring, to see the competition at QB. (Darlington will redshirt, but will have a chance to compete with TA and Stanton,

Should be fun to watch...too bad we can't be there for practice.