Congrats to Jordan Hooper - 2,000 Points!

Mavric

Congrats to Jordan! Great accomplishment!

Career Scoring Leaders:

Karen Jennings (90-93) - 2,405

Maurtice Ivy (85-88) - 2,131

Kelsey Griffin (06-10) - 2,033

Jordan Hooper (11-14) - 2,008

Hooper is averaging 20.2 ppg this year. The Huskers have 12 regular season games remaining. Assuming she keeps her current pace, she'll end the regular season with about 2,250 points - solidly in second place. At the same pace, she would need 8 post season games to catch Jennings. That's a lot of work but it could be interesting coming down the stretch.

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Also, nice article on Hooper on Huskers.com

The day before her last regular-season home game as a Husker, Jordan Hooper was a one-woman media machine. The two-time All-American, two-time first-team All-Big Ten selection and two-time Gatorade Nebraska High School Player of the Year from Alliance was fielding and answering questions like the seasoned veteran she’s become.

Among those attending Wednesday afternoon’s press conference in the Bob Devaney Sports Center were a Lincoln sports editor, perhaps Omaha’s two leading sports columnists, several TV stations from Lincoln and Omaha, plus the Huskers Sports Network. Play-by-play man Matt Coatney and analyst Jeff Griesch will broadcast Hooper’s regular-season curtain call as the primary honoree on Senior Night when the Huskers host Illinois in Thursday’s 7 p.m. tipoff at Pinnacle Bank Arena. Even though Hooper never has seen herself as a great basketball player, Nebraska Coach Connie Yori thinks she’s so honest, open, and unassuming that she probably ranks somewhere between a master’s degree and a doctorate in the well-honed art of interviewing.

Another nice article, the time from Shatel:

“There are people who are Jordan Hooper crazy out there,” Yori said. “These little girls, they just love Jordan Hooper.

“It's amazing how many times I get questions about her in public: 'My cousin has Jordan Hooper's birthday.' 'My little sister met Jordan Hooper.' She's really kind of a celebrity, and yet she doesn't act like it. Unlike some kids, it hasn't gone to her head. I really appreciate that.”

It could be the state of Nebraska girls high school basketball. It's better. Yori says it's at an all-time high. There are more Division I recruits than ever. Nebraska girls are playing basketball. Yori says Hooper “has a small part in that in her own way.”

But it's a large stamp, in this way: Hooper was the biggest name in the state to very publicly choose Nebraska basketball over Nebraska volleyball. That was rare. And certainly some girls took notice.

She did it because basketball was her first love. That choice is as big a part of the footprint she leaves as anything. It validated what Yori was building. It allowed a lot of folks to buy in.

“Jordan has opened the eyes of the girls in this state that it's cool to play basketball,” Yori said.

She changed Nebraska, but the place changed her, too. Hooper's hometown is listed as Alliance, but actually, she says, she grew up on a ranch “36 miles or 45 minutes” from Alliance.

When Hooper arrived in Lincoln four years ago, she saw things she had never seen. There's a movie script in here somewhere.