Recruiting ranking - NU 5-6 in Big 10 ??

There are a number of things that go into winning football, not just recruiting. Calahan could recruit, but not coach and we all know what happened there. However, the old saying "Its all about the Jimmies and the Joes" does stand up under a test. Look at the last 10 national championship teams, All had very good recruiting classes, based on STARS, prior to winning ,Some had multiple great classes and almost all of them have had fantastic coaches. Many of these teams are loaded with 4-5 start players Even if they get great return on just 50% of their 4-5 star players, its a win ... The proof is in the results.. Heck Auburn, a darkhorse national champion last year has had over 50 4-5 star players in their last 4 classes. I am sure there are examples to support either side as far as STAR power, but this may be Bo's worst class so far. Not saying it is devoid of talent because there are a few in here that will be beasts.. However, this class is less impressive" on paper" than his earlier classes resulting in blowout losses and losses to Iowa, Minnesota etc etc.. . In contrast, how many 30 point losses does Nick Sabin have in the same time frame. ??

In fact Oregon is the only team to play in a national title game in the last 10 years, that did not have a 5 year composite ranking in the top 10. There was a point where I was in the camp of not caring about rankings. Now there is just too much evidence to ignore them. Its not just one site, there are now four major players, so getting a solid composite ranking works very well.

Teams that under perform their recruiting, fire their coach. Auburn is the best example. 3 wins to 12 wins overnight by replacing the coach. Texas drove out Mack Brown for the same reason. USC, same story.

Unfortunately we are ending up right about where our recruiting rankings saw we will, at the bottom, or just outside, the top 25.

Here on HB we get all excited about almost anyone NU is recruiting, and just glow about the potential in a recruit like A.J. Bush when this recruit is not highly rated by any of the 4 services. This is seeing these recruits through the rose colored glasses, which is what fans will do.

I don't mean to put down any of NU's recruits, I like them all. I am a fan.

It just sucks to see NU ranked 25-40 with these services. The facilities at NU would be ranked 10-15 and our recruiting classes should be better.

Signing day specials on ESPN just put me in a bad mood seeing NU ranked behind MSU, Wisconsin, Oklahoma St, Baylor, UCLA, Missouri. NU should be better than them.

Here on HB we get all excited about almost anyone NU is recruiting, and just glow about the potential in a recruit like A.J. Bush when this recruit is not highly rated by any of the 4 services. This is seeing these recruits through the rose colored glasses, which is what fans will do.

It just sucks to see NU ranked 25-40 with these services. The facilities at NU would be ranked 10-15 and our recruiting classes should be better.

Signing day specials on ESPN just put me in a bad mood seeing NU ranked behind MSU, Wisconsin, Oklahoma St, Baylor, UCLA, Missouri. NU should be better than them.

Do not expect anything to change overly with this staff still in place and with what this staff has produced on (and off) the field. Until either this staff wildly improves --- or is replaced --- expect recruiting to be like this class. Progress forward will begin, most likely, only when new leadership comes in. The only other option is for this staff to all of a sudden do what they have not yet approached doing... fielding a conference championship team, play in and win a big bowl and finish top 10. I cannot see that happening... so, once more... forward progress likely awaits a staff change.

Do not expect anything to change overly with this staff still in place and with what this staff has produced on (and off) the field. Until either this staff wildly improves --- or is replaced --- expect recruiting to be like this class. Progress forward will begin, most likely, only when new leadership comes in. The only other option is for this staff to all of a sudden do what they have not yet approached doing... fielding a conference championship team, play in and win a big bowl and finish top 10. I cannot see that happening... so, once more... forward progress likely awaits a staff change.

And without a drop off, the 'leadership' is unlikely to do so. So we get stuck in the Groundhog's Day of college football seasons.