ESPN news article about Husker LB position battles

http://espn.go.com/b...on-battles-no-5

Seen it on the front page of huskermax. I think linebacker play & depth definitely has the potential to be 1 of the strengths of the 2014 team. For me, the major question marks on the 2014 defense are can Greg McMullen, Joe Keels, or A.J. Natter fill the void left by Avery Moss on the other side of Gregory, & can Nebraska field a strong secondary? I expect the defense to at least pick up where they left off in 2013 & have a solid season.

I feel like the defense and offense are finally going to be on equal footing. And not just average output, legitimate contender range. Reduce the turnovers even by half and we could have a really special unit on our hands. Go Blackshirts.

Yes, this would be nice to see. IMO, if Nebraska is to win the division, the offense needs to completely clean up its turnover problems. On the other hand, if the defense continues upon its improvement that we seen in 2013 & the offense cleans up & has similar production, I could see Nebraska being a top 10 team.

EDIT - I'll also add hoping to see Tim Beck clean up some of his boneheaded calls (the decision to throw a pass in OT against Penn State on 3rd down...with an easy game winning field goal right in front of us being an example of a bad play call by Tim Beck) & show that he isn't afraid to run the ball down the other teams throat all game; if that's whats working. I'll say I respect that Tim Beck has a very difficult job; however the man is very well compensated & I'd like to see him step it up for the 2014 season.

Agreed. Many posters defend Becks calls no matter what. Ill admit ve been critical but he does a good job overall and has gotten better every year. The stats supposrt the theory that he runs more than he passes yet its WHEN the passes come that irk me at times. Im behind the guy though, think hes gonna have a solid year calling plays.

I was personally hoping he would get fired. Since it didn't happen, I'm behind him 100% & I hope to see him be an effective play caller this season & clean up the bad playcalling we saw last year (an example bad play calling last year would be the abandonment of the run game against Minnesota; despite the fact that we were having success running the football that game).

EDIT - I'll add that I thought Tim Beck did a pretty good job overall with the playcalling against Georgia this year. The only call I really disagreed with (that I can remember) was giving Newby the football late in the game with the final outcome still on the line given Newby's ball security. After thinking about it, I can't fault the Beck for giving Newby a chance to make a play - it just didn't work.