Help!! Windows Mobile Device for Windows 8.1

I need help from you Computer Tech savvy individuals out there. I recently bought a new laptop (Dell XPS 15 - Windows 8.1 - 512 SSD - 64 Bit) to replace my old Dell Inspiron Windows XP laptop. I'm currently or going to be a grad student who will need to use Windows Mobile Devices (Trimble - Juno SB) to collect data in the field for research. The problem is I can't get a connection between my WMD (Juno) and the Windows Mobile Device Center software on my computer. I plug the Juno into the laptop, get a little "bling or what have your sound" like it has connected, but don't think it does. In fact the Windows Mobile Device Center on my computer says it's "Not Connected". I was told I needed to check the little box next to .NET 3.5 in my Control Panel, but still nothing. Plusthat was after the fact I plugged in my WMD so I'm not sure if by doing so that screwed up anything. I've been trying to figure this out for 2 days now and since I'm literally in the middle of no where, I'm stuck on my own solving this unless I want to drive 2 hours to get help.

I really need your help is you have any.

I'm not that familiar with 8.1 in particular, but if you have not, go to the Windows Update, and check the optional updates. A lot of stuff like the .NET frameworks do not auto update. And if yours is 3.5, you are outdated. Also. check for specific device drivers from the Juno website, default drivers on Windows dont always cut it.

Is there a special sync program or driver that you need to install on the new system? When you plug in a new device, Windows will always attempt to install the appropriate driver to make communication possible. But if Windows doesn't have the right driver, or can't tell what it is you've plugged in, it won't be able to detect it. I've never worked with Juno's, but it's entirely possibly Windows 8.1 doesn't have them in their database of available drivers.

Did you connect the Juno to your other laptop? If so, did it work right away, or did you have to install a specific Juno driver for Windows?